Calligra installed....umm INSTANTANEOUSLY

This is well amazing and I’m asking for somebody to explain why.

I spent the time since the install using the provided apps and they work fine.

But, my first love has always been what is now called Calligra.

I’m used to Synaptic, but thought I’d use Discover and found VERY GENERIC descriptions of various office apps but I recognized the “general name” such as “sheets” and “stage”. So…

I clicked the install button for words, stage, sheets, Braindump, etc. NOT Kontact etc.

And…they installed…um…well…

yes…as any physicist will say, there is no such thing as "instantaneous’.

But, there was no indication of downloading etc. a green line appeared under the boxes.

Nothing was happening! :0

And this on wifi connection to cable internet, I’ve installed Calligra MANY times and it takes “some time”, three, four, five minutes etc…

After less than a minute I went back to the “box” of Words and it said installed and I checked the menu and there they all were!!

Ok…now…

I had an inspiration!! I had JUST A HALF HOUR EARLIER… had right clicked a document just for grins and giggles

BEFORE I HAD INSTALLED CALLIGRA…

and there was a menu item to “open with Calligra”

So…the highly pregnant question is…

Is Calligra ALREADY IN THE DISTRO WAITING TO BE ACTIVATED…“hidden” as it were…

or are there some kind of DEDICATED servers for JUST the items in the Discover interface?

Great interface btw!! :slight_smile:

Inquiring minds want to know…well…ONE inquiring mind want’s to know.

woodintriguedsmoke

Not exactly, Kritta and Karbon are installed by default and with these the common packages (calligra-plugins, filters, libs, etc.), this means that when you click on say sheets, that’s all that needs to be installed since the common packages are already installed. However, Arch based systems do have a tendency to perform most common tasks faster than other systems, this does include package management.

PS. Since your used to synaptic, give octopi a look as well.

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply and 'splanation! :slight_smile:

Again, I learned something! :slight_smile: