Cannot boot to Live KDE session in VMWare

When I try to boot the new ISO in VMWare Workstation 10.0.3, all i get is a tty.

When I use ‘startx’, I get a segmentation fault

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x49) [0x585319]
1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x188fe9) [588fe9]
2: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x7ff00bd7a000+0xf4b0) [0x7ff00bd894b0]
3: /usr/lib/libLLVM-3.5.so (0x7ff00477f000+0x3eeb93) [0x7ff004b6db93]
4: /usr/lib/libLLVM-3.5.so (0x7ff00477f000+0x1fafd70) [0x7ff00672ed70]

Segmentation fault ar address 0x12

Thanks for any help

Segmentation faults are hard to debug. Did you try the freeand non-free drivers boot option already ?

Yup, I’ve tried both options, and both boot up a tty, not the live KDE session. And both seg fault when using attempting to force the X server to start using ‘startx’

EDIT: Also, the terminal output seems to indicate that the X server seg faults when it tries to load the GLX extension.

The live ISO’s are setup to work with virtualbox by default not VMWare.

You will need to install the display server for VMWhare yourself:
sudo pacman -S xf86-video-vmware

So am I supposed to do a CLI install then install the display server for VMWare?

Also, when using sudo pacman -S xf86-video-vmware in the live session, it says reinstalling, so it seems to be that the driver does exist somewhere on the ISO. And the Manjaro 0.8.10 live ISO does work on VMWare, so this is a little strange. Also, I’ve played around with the older ISO before, and that worked fine.

Yes, you’re right that is strange, xf86-video-vmware shows as not installed on my system.
I’ve also never tried running the live ISO’s in VMWare only in virtualbox, I’ll have to give this a try later today when I have time. Have you tried playing around with the WMWhare settings?

I would wait until they put out the 2014.09 again before I try this. They had problems with the video drivers as you were not able to install the nvidia driver because of conflict. When you booted to non-free drivers it took you more or less to a console type login prompt. They do have a new ISO coming out soon and when that is released you might be it to work.

In this case I have to dissappoint you. Only the nvidia driver was affected by the problem not vmware.
VMWare in general seems to have a problem with its own graphicsdriver if you don’t explictely activate 3D support for the virtual machine itself.
I tested it here with 32bit and 64bit versions and it starts working as soon as I activate 3D support in the virtual machines settings.

Yup, and that did it. After enabling 3D acceleration in the VM settings, everything booted fine. Thanks for all the help.