Dual Screen-Primary output set default

I have a a minor annoying problem, which would be great if can be fixed.
I use dual screen on my main desktop.
Primary out in the “System Settings” is DVI-I-1.
Secondary monitor is HDMI-1.
The default is is set for DVI-I-1 to be the primary screen, but each time I turn on the computer, any program that you launch is opened on the HDMI (secondary) monitor side, which is on the right side. Then if I drag it to the primary side, and open any other program, it would open on the primary side (the correct side). It seems that the system doesn’t recognize that the DVI is the primary out put, and the HDMI side takes control. I’ve also have changed the primary settings to “HDMI”, and “None”, just to see if that makes any difference, and it has not. Is there any fix for this problem?

Display info:
Comuter: HP ENVY 700
Vendor: NVE6
2D driver: nouveau
3D driver: nouveau Gallium (10.1.3)

If I remember correctly there was a bug in 4.13, that cased the default monitor to change on reboot, you could try updating to KDE SC 4.14: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.14

[hr]
So this bug is not going to be fixed under the current version of 4.13.3 some time in the near future by the means of software update? I’m afraid I’m not knolwledgable enough to know how to do this, and screw something up.

That would be up to the Kubuntu developers to back port the fix to 4.13. They do have the 4.14 version of KDE SC available from a back ports PPA, and as far as I can tell that would be the only solution at the moment.

KDE SC 4.14 is the final version of the KDE SC 4 Desktop Environment and will only receive security fixes in the future, all of the latest development is now going into the new KDE Plasma 5 Desktop and KDE frameworks 5.

I’m running the Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro/Arch) Edition, and because of it’s rolling release model it has already been updated to 4.14 with the latest update pack, so I can not reproduce this issue.

[hr]
The only problem with the rolling version is that you almost have to be programmer, like yourself who knows Linux command line, to make everythign work, and run smooth. I tried the rolling version first, and I all got was pain and sufffering. All kinds of errors, or probem with updating something. On the other hand the Netrunner 14 is a very reliable, user friendly (specially for Window users), sand easy to update without getting any kind of erorrs. I even just recently swithed my wife’s laptop from Windws 8 to Netrunner 14 LTS, and she has no promlem getting around! In fact you helped me fixing the bright-dim issue on her Dell laptop. You also can’t beat Symaptic, and Muon for software! I may try to update to version 4.14 on one of my laptops which I don’t use often, and see how it goes.

I’m not a programmer, a can’t write a lick of code. I’m just an IT tech and system builder that has been using Linux on his own personal systems since the 1990’s, I believe that I have gained enough knowledge over the years to be helpful to others like yourself that need it, this is why I am here. I personally hardly ever use the command line unless I have to, but knowing how to use the command line is always a plus, even under Windows and Mac.

As far as updates are concerned, only if there is a major change to the system and special commands are needed for it to complete successfully, will it not need to be performed from the command line, standard updates simply do not and can be be performed by any method including GUI tools, Now, I count lots of post from people having problems with updates on both Netrunner Standard and Rolling in the forums, on Standard there seems to be some sort of file format issues happening that is causing various problems with the repositories, under Rolling it is typically just the same issue every time, and that can be easily avoided by reading the tutorial on the Netrunner site here: http://www.netrunner-os.com/readme-arch, the Netrunner blog post here: http://www.netrunner-os.com/rolling-update-to-0-8-10-base or by reading the update announcements that I post here in the forums.

Manjaro is not Arch, it is only based on it, just like how Ubuntu is based on Debian.
Netrunner Rolling is based on Manjaro, just like how Netrunner Standard is based on Ubuntu

I have only ever used Debian on remote servers where I didn’t have control of what OS was on them. I have never used synaptic or muon, etc. only dpkg, dselect and later on apt, since these were servers and I had no need for any kind of GUI, period.

When did you try Netrunner Rolling?
I find no threads of you asking for help with it here in the forums.

I updated to version 14.14.0 sucessfully on my test laptop. How ever, I’m getting the following error message.
“Could not download all repository indexes”
Falied to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/netrunner-os/frontier-14-packages/ubuntu/dists/frontier-14/main/binary-amd64/Packeges 404 Not found. Some index files faied to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I even unchecked the PPAS "Kubuntu-ppa/backports (sources): and “Kubuntu-ppa/backport”, and restarted the computer, and still getting that error message. How to do you fix this?

That is what I was talking about in my previous post, this issue is discussed in several other posts already, and has something to do with the PPA system.

The PPA causing the issue on your system right now is the Netrunner PPA, here is what you need to do:

edit this line in your /etc/apt/sources.list from looking like:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/netrunner-os/frontier-14-packages/ubuntu/dists/frontier-14/main/binary-amd64/Packeges

to looking like:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/netrunner-os/frontier-14-packages/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages

There may be other lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list that will need editing as well.

Sorry about bugging you, but I can’t seem to find the location. Could you tell me exactly where to go to find that and edit that line?

Its off the root / file system.
/etc/apt/sources.list

Here, just open the command line and enter:
kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

enter your password when prompted.

[hr]
I typed the command “kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list”, and I get a source.list - Kate. After I typle the password, I get the followoing message:

Please use a seperate file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory.

What do I do next?

Also why Netrunner 14 LTS will not be updated to 3.14 since it’s based on Kubutu LTS?

I forgot about that, sorry the last time I used an Ubuntu based system they we’re all in the one file. You should also be able to edit these through synaptic’s software sources program as well.

[hr]
I didn’t realize that you can edit that through Synaptic. That was easy enough (if you know what you’re doing). So my test laptop is now updated to version 4.14.0.

I’m still afraid to update my main desktop, becuase of potential unwanted consequenses in future Netrunner updates. Do I need to be concern about that?

Also will Netrunner upgrade to 4.14.0 some time in near future, since it is based on Kubutu LTS, and that is alrady been upgraded from 4.13.3 to 4.14.0 which I did manually on my test laptop?

and… thank you for you prompt resposse,
fredhoud

Did you mean KDE SC 4.14?

If so then Kubuntu didn’t update it’s LTS base to KDE SC 4.14, the LTS will still receive security updates to KDE SC 4.13.x for the foreseeable future or it wouldn’t be much of an LTS release.
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.13.3

What they did was to make it available to advanced users by adding the optional backports PPA:
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.14

You quoted me before I finished editing my post. :slight_smile:

[hr]
Sorry about that. Ok, I get it now. KDE 4.14.0. So would I be safe to upgrade my main computer to KDE 4.14.0? Could this cause future unwanted problems and heahache in your opinion for a basic user like myself?

Adding the backports PPA that will eventually also contain other updated core system packages other than KDE like newer kernels, etc. So you have to ask yourself if you wish to keep your main machine on the extremely tested and stable Long Term Support model for the next 5 years, or do you not mind some parts of the core system components being updated to less tested packages.

[hr]
What you said makes sense. I think I’ll hold off upgrading my main computer. I’ll wait for the new Rolling version, which should be out soon and give it another test dirve on a virtualbox first. Then on my test laptop computer if it passes the virtualbox, and finally on my main desktop computer. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Best,
Fredhoud