Feedback Netrunner Rolling 2015-06-pre2

Hello,

First, thank you for this great distro. I’m now on Netrunner 14.1 x64 which I love but I want to try something new and I have some questions and bugs to report.

1. KDE 5 is still quite buggy. There is a lot of bug report https://bugs.kde.org/ and it will need time to have more stability.

2. I try to install Netrunner Rolling on a test partition (sdb5) but I can’t boot it. I have a kernel panic:

It’s the Grub from the main partition (Netrunner 14.1) that handle boot of the distros I test. Of course I did a sudo update-grub. That work with every other distros I tried but not here.

I installed Netrunner Rolling Grub to “/” partition. I tried free and non free drivers install.

Fix (https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=19421.0): Add

/boot/initramfs-4.1-x86_64.img

To this line

initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img

To obtain

initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.1-x86_64.img

In /boot/grub/grub.cfg from the main Grub partition

1. When I update the distro with :
$ yaourt -Syyua --devel

I have these errors :

[code]kdeconnect-git plasma-volume-control-git samba-mounter-frameworks-git
==> Compilation de kdeconnect-git depuis les sources.

==> Récupération du PKGBUILD et fichiers locaux…
==> netrunner/kdeconnect-git: Télécharge l’archive abs

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
==> Compilation de plasma-volume-control-git depuis les sources.

==> netrunner/plasma-volume-control-git: Télécharge l’archive abs

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
==> Compilation de samba-mounter-frameworks-git depuis les sources.

==> netrunner/samba-mounter-frameworks-git: Télécharge l’archive abs

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found[/code]

1. Installer improvements
  • Choose language list is not alphabetically sorted
  • If you select french the keyboard layout should be french too
  • If you select french the location should be France
  • If you choose the install with non free drivers the desktop is different from with free drivers and there is no install icon on the desktop (only in start menu)
  • Unpackfs is the longest operation but only account for few percents
  • If you choose “/” partition to install Grub it will be great if you can see the partition number too (sdbX)
  1. Install bash-completion and numlockx packages at the installation

2. KDE start menu is not alphabetically sorted in french

3. The date settings “window” is too small. It need to be opened several times to work

4. How can I start Mysql (MariaDB) and autostart it at boot ? I tried :

$  sudo systemctl enable mysqld.service && sudo systemctl start mysqld.service

But that don’t work.

That’s all for now :wink:
My main problems are the kernel panic and mysql.

Thank you

Please do not try and update your system using yaourt, this is never a good Idea.
Packages from the AUR are NOT officially supported, if those packages in question need to be updated I will do so, these packages are customized and in our repositories for that reason, they are NOT exactly the same as the ones from the AUR.

Having the right size for the system settings window on the ISO and installed system for every possible resolution would be a very hard thing to do.

Just starting and enabling mysqld is not enough, it needs to be configured first otherwise it will not start:

mysql_install_db --user=mysql --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql

It’s also recommended that you secure it first:

mysql_secure_installation

Then you can run:

sudo systemctl start mysqld.service && sudo systemctl enable mysqld.service

Reference: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MySQL

I managed to fix my kernel panic problem (https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=19421.0) :

I needed to add

/boot/initramfs-4.1-x86_64.img

To this line

initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img

To obtain

initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.1-x86_64.img

In /boot/grub/grub.cfg from the main Grub partition (Netrunner 14.1)

Oh yea, sorry about that. Like Manjaro and Arch Linux, Netrunner Rolling needs to be the one that handles the grub installation or it will not be able to boot. Netrunner rolling uses the same method for the early Intel microcode loading as it’s parent distribution (Manjaro).

Ok but I need to install some package from AUR. So to update my system, AUR package too, I need to use yaourt for the update. If I can’t use yaourt for that how can I easily keep my system updated easily ? Maybe there is an other way to provide these package without “breaking” yaourt ?

Look at the screenshoot. That’s not what I mean :wink:

I will try. I thought that because mariaDB is already installed and start if you launch knotes for instance, it was alrready configured.

Knotes no longer uses mariaDB.

I have no idea what’s causing the time and date settings to do that on your system, it’s not happening here.

I don’t know what can cause this to time and date settings but it happen in virtualbaox and on hard install.

Maybe but, if you open knotes, you will see the mysql process starting too

Yes I found the issue and fixed it for the pre3 ISO.
There is a mariadb line in one of the configuration files under /etc/skel/~./config that I overlooked removal prior to building the ISO. This file will also be under ~./config in your home directory.

I don’t remember which config file the mariadb reference was in as this was prior to all the packaging changes made for the pre3 ISO.

PS. As I already mentioned, the pre3 ISO is going through some major changes both in packaging of the netrunner specific packages and where these things are located in the filesystem. A reinstall will be required.
Updating from pre2 to pre3 will be problematic at best.