Firefox version / repos?

On a fresh Netrunner 16 install, I’m having very poor Firefox performance, and in trying to troubleshoot, I noticed the Firefox version is 37.0 while my wife’s Netrunner 14 PC has 38.0.

I did sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade a few times and there are no more updates available (see below).

Is there a repo change or is there still a lag in updating Firefox in what ever repo NR uses for that?

Thanks!

.... Fetched 689 kB in 14s (46.3 kB/s) Reading package lists... Done Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Calculating upgrade... Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Netrunner 16 uses the plasmazilla repository for plasma patched firefox and thunderbird versions: https://launchpad.net/~plasmazilla/+archive/ubuntu/releases
If Netrunner 14 is using version 38 I don’t think its using the kde/plasma patched version.

And this is indeed still version 37.
If you feel that firefox is a little bit slow. You could try disabling some of the extensions and see if this helps.
If it doesn’t try creating a new firefox profile and see if it works better with it.

As of today, Firefox in plasmazilla is still 37 (since 4/24/2015). Am I too paranoid to think that is too long? What are downsides to installing firefox directly from mozilla to benefit from it automatic updates?
Cheers

BTW: my Firefox slowness was a nvidia driver problem.

I think you are a little paranoid :stuck_out_tongue:
I am not sure why plasmazill is not updated. I will take a look at it. Maybe someone forgot to copy the newer version there.

All in all Firefox from upstream will not give you the mimetype and dialogs integration into the plasma desktop.
Security wise with the upstream release you are always on the latest version.

Firefox was updated in the repo within the last day - now happily at version 38.0!
I’ll sleep better tonight! :wink:
Thanks!