First post! My hopes for Netrunner Rolling

Well, this is a surprise! What a huge vote of confidence (and very much well deserved) for Manjaro and its superb rolling release model. And I think it will be exactly what a lot of Netrunner users are looking for.

Here’s my list of little things I would like to see, based on my experiences with new users that are introduced to Manjaro: (Sorry, the devil is in the details.)

[list=1]
[]A GUI control panel to enable/disable Plymouth bootsplash
[
]A graphical “App store” style software center
[]Grub customization GUI
[
]All packages installed and configured for Bonjour/Zeroconf wireless printing
[]Services / systemctl enable/disable GUI
[
]exFAT filesystem support installed out of the box
[]Dolphin context menu actions for opening files as root
[
]Root file manager option in main menu
[*]Use free disk space and preserve existing OS option in installer
[/list]

These small details really contribute toward a cohesive, professional system that even new users will be drawn toward. I’m sure this Netrunner Rolling edition will eventually become just that.

Again, congrats, and best wishes to both the Manjaro and the Netrunner teams!

Hi,

to Point 3.
you will find the tool Grub customizer in the Manjaro repos.
See also here http://bit.ly/1ilDMzF

regards Mozon

Hi,

nice list, we will look into this and see, just note:

1. Grub Customizer is already included
  2. all root actions for dolphin are installed and can be turned on, already default turned on is root - change permission to temporary make folders editable etc.

Sorry my fault … :angel:

would say its available, but I don’t notice that grub costomizer is in the Iso.

Hi guys,

there has been some evaluation and testing going on for Muon Discover to be ported over to Manjaro. It just needs some libalpm backend. Also we will push with this Manjaro to another level.

Stay tuned for more to come out of this relationship with Bluesystems.

i have installed the iso in a virtualbox to test. i am impressed. it looks very polished.

here are 2 things i have noticed:

1. there is no autologin option for sddm. i am the only user on my computer and i always use autologin. is there a way to autologin?

2. you have installed octopi, but not octopi-notifier. how should a normal user know that updates are available? please install octopi-notifier or write a little script, which checks for updates and installs them automatically in the background (or tell the user to confirm updates).

for a long term plan, i like the idea to have muon discover available. it is much more user friendly than octopi.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, and thanks for looking into this.

About Grub customizer, I was aware of its existence, but I have never seen it installed by default anywhere. Addtionally, I was aware of some issues that still exist with it, such as this one:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=12275.msg110613
So I hope some love and care continues to go to making this tool a bit more mainstream; it’s very important in my opinion.

I added #9 too: A an option in the installer to automatically use free disk space and/or resize existing partitions to install Netrunner/Manjaro and preserve existing OS(es).
[hr]

Interesting, that’s good news. If I’m not mistaken, a libalpm backend would also let gnome-software work as well?

As for #9, this is exactly what we have been working on, but decided in the very last minute to wait for next snapshot. It basically lets you pick and resize a partition to install Netrunner side-by-side on that partition. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

Sweet! Nice work.

I noticed that Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi network printer discovery is not working on this first release. It only requires a few packages and services to make this work…
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/avahi
…and also a small configuration file change:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/avahi#Hostname_resolution
It would be nice if the user didn’t have to set this system up. It’s a bit paradoxical that a system that is so easy to use for new users is not present and almost impossible for them to set up. :wink: Thanks a lot!

Thanks for your tip.We’ll consider implementing this in future snapshots.
Keep in mind rolling releases are normally intended for more advanced users.

And one more little bug: I really like the default Plymouth boot screen on the live system. But after being installed it reverts to booting with just the “quiet” option. It would be REALLY nice to still have Plymouth. Or better yet, a GUI to enable/disable Plymouth, as I mentioned earlier. Thanks for taking all this into consideration!

I have an issue with host name not being pushed by system (Manjaro has the same problem)… to fix this issue only requires a miner change to /etc/dhclient.conf.

Here is how I fix it on my systems:
edit /etc/dhclient.conf
and removing the # from this line: send host-name = pick-first-value(gethostname(), “ISC-dhclient”);
I leave the rest of the file using it’s defaults…

PS. The Manjaro Enlightenment edition doesn’t have this issue as it uses econnman / connman and not network-manager which uses dhclient by default…

PSS. I was wondering where is the setting for 3D effect’s (I can’t find it), or is that package missing?

Thanks a lot for the feedback, we make sure all the points are taken care of in upcoming 64bit and later 32bit snapshots!

Hi :slight_smile: I added the blueshells repo to my system and installed webbaccounts… when i try to open it, it gives me the following error:

/edit. My bad, it was already a reported bug :slight_smile:

Look under Workspace Behaviour → Desktop Effects, is that what you looking for?

Yes, Thank You…

By default we don’t ship any dhclient.conf file. If you mean the dhclient.conf.example file it is activated there by default.

Yes, with no file or the default file from Manjaro, then the defaults will be used, and why the hostname is not pushed.

I’d like to sincerely apologize, I did not to edit that file, like you said it doesn’t exits. What I actually did was to create it myself with only that line in it.