Hangup on Shutdown Continues!

Last few weeks been getting that failed line. But would reboot or shutdown fine.
Last night shutdown. And hung for 20-30 seconds on the See systemctl status line.
Eventually finally spit out last 2 lines and shutdown. As have noticed a couple of systemd upgrades last couple of updates.

Anyone else experience this issue? As been getting the "Failed to start Verify integrity of password and group files for about month now.

Nope, not getting this on my end. Maybe someone on the Manjaro forums has reported this issue, we will need to check.
What does this give you?

sudo systemctl status shadow.service

Could just be a module was updated and not the initramfs so the service can’t load.
You could try updating the instramfs:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux44

[code][orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ sudo systemctl status shadow.service

● shadow.service - Verify integrity of password and group files
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/shadow.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)[/code]

[code]
[orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ sudo mkinitcpio -p linux44

/usr/bin/mkinitcpio: line 264: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux44.preset: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Failed to load preset: `/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux44.preset’[/code]

Got me just again re-booted and displayed first 2 lines just blinking cursor and hung for 40-60seconds and then re-booted.
No failed or other lines displayed just the clean sda3 line then blinking cursor.

Substitute the number for the kernel series you have installed: linux41, linux42, linux44, etc.

Yep my bad but seems that did the trick after three shutdowns or re-boots no hanging.

Got me last 3 times again re-booted and displayed first 2 lines just blinking cursor and hung for 40-60seconds and then re-booted.
No failed or other lines displayed just the clean sda3 line then blinking cursor.

Yep seems to be continuing issue. Ever since upgrade to systemd 229

Eventually shuts down but takes a good 60 seconds to do so. Use to take 5 seconds or so.

Have you tried re-enabling shadow.service yet?
I’m not sure what would have turned that off but:

sudo systemctl start shadow.service sudo systemctl enable shadow.service

However, the failed to finalize filesystem worries me more.
Have you tried booting the live media and running fsck on your partitions?
What FS are you using on all of your partitions, EXT4, BTRFS, etc.?

Could you also run the following command right after a re-boot and give me the output:

systemd-analyze critical-chain

[code][orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the “@”
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the “+” character.

graphical.target @5.216s
└─multi-user.target @5.216s
└─smbd.service @2.944s +2.271s
└─nmbd.service @2.706s +237ms
└─network.target @2.706s
└─NetworkManager.service @2.523s +177ms
└─basic.target @2.522s
└─paths.target @2.522s
└─systemd-ask-password-console.path @2.522s
└─-.mount @165ms
└─system.slice @181ms
└─-.slice @165ms[/code]

As to checking disk will have to take a check. Might be onto something there.
As when I shutdown after last post. It shutdown normally no issues.
Just re-booted again this morning and it rebooted normally no issues.
As sda3 is / & /home on a ext4 SSD along with a ntfs windows 7 partition.

[code][orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ sudo systemctl start shadow.service

[sudo] password for orbmiser:
Job for shadow.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status shadow.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.[/code]

[code]orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ systemctl status shadow.service

● shadow.service - Verify integrity of password and group files
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/shadow.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2016-02-28 08:01:32 PST; 2min 15s ago
Process: 1355 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pwck -r (code=exited, status=2)
Main PID: 1355 (code=exited, status=2)
08:01:32 Winterfell systemd[1]: Starting Verify integrity of password and group files…
08:01:32 Winterfell pwck[1355]: user ‘mysql’: directory ‘/var/lib/mysql’ does not exist
08:01:32 Winterfell pwck[1355]: pwck: no changes
08:01:32 Winterfell systemd[1]: shadow.service: Main process exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
08:01:32 Winterfell systemd[1]: Failed to start Verify integrity of password and group files.
08:01:32 Winterfell systemd[1]: shadow.service: Unit entered failed state.
08:01:32 Winterfell systemd[1]: shadow.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’. [/code]

I didn’t understand, is / and /home one big partition as /dev/sda3?
In other words, no separated /home partition?

This is also interesting: user ‘mysql’: directory ‘/var/lib/mysql’ does not exist
I wonder what you have installed that needs mysql?
Could you post the output for journalctl -xe when this happens again?

Please pipe this out to a txt file and attach it like this:

journalctl -xe > output.txt

Here is basically what you should get:
[attachment=881]

Yep don’t have separate /home and just the one partition.
Text output attached.

Looks like you have baloo file search enabled and it was terminated before it was finished indexing, but that’s not what’s causing the issue. However, it also looks like kpasswordserver (kwallet) is what’s crashing, this would cause some issues. I’m just not sure how this would cause shadow password issues. My bet is both of these are causing file system errors on the partition that fsck is dealing with thus causing the delay, but again I’m not sure.

Note: This thread is getting a bit long, perhaps hangouts or IRC would be best to diagnose and discuss this issue and then post the solution after would be better.

Well kwallet is disabled and also just hit return key “no password” for it originally.
But last few reboots whether shutdown or re-boot from menu or hardware reset switch set to shutdown.
Has given normal behavior.

All methods have been behaving normally so far. As doing normal elapsed time rebooting or shutting down.
Scratching my head guess will have to keep an eye on it and see what transpires after next update.

Personally, I think that it was the baloo file indexing having been running when it’s process was destroyed caused this, and now that the index has finished no error.

Note this line: dolphin[1130]: QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/bin/baloo_filemetadata_temp_extractor") is still running at the begining of that log. And all of the huge baloo_filemetadata_temp_extractor entries after that with the same error inside all of them.

Hmmm don’t know how to repair.
Turn baloo back on? Delete baloo database? just guessing as clueless.

It wasn’t on? Then that is really, really, strange then.
It’s under system settings > search > file search.
Now Plasma search is a different thing, but you could press the clear history button there as well, just to be on the safe side.

Don’t have it enabled and did clear the history for Plasma Search just now.

Maybe can’t remember when I installed the ISO fresh install it was enabled by me at some point?
Or enabled by default I then turned off? Can’t really remember and not knowing if that would cause it.

It’s not enabled by default in Netrunner Rolling, so that’s not it.

It’s not Baloo, try removing plymouth, generate new linux image and you will see it disappearing :wink:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Why does everyone always assume it’s plymouth.
I saw nothing about plymouth in the log files.
Besides, what would plymouth have to do with the verify password integrity unit not starting?

No biggie tho can’t get consistence repeatable.

Half the time shuts down fine and normal.
Sometimes hangs for 60 seconds no error messages then shuts down.

Other times displays the verify password integrity thing occasionally.

It has to be the NSA I know they are trying to get in! They know I’m am the Center! :s