How to know it safe to remove package? & Multiple Menu Entries

Wondering how user knows to uninstall a package when other packages may or may not be used by other programs?

Wanting to remove HP-lip drivers as don’t have a printer. And being 16mb in size impacts download size and time adding 5-6 mins. on my Wifi connection. Why is this installed when a user may not have a HP printer or a printer at all for that matter?

Any help understanding why is appreciated.

Also one issue I have seen is in editing menu applications why are there so many duplicate entries for Krita and Okular? And browsing through the different menus see a slew of Installed applications? In .hidden and Development folders. Should those be there? Doesn’t it make for a messy default clean menu?

Seems automounter for usb drives is broken. Not even this thread fix works anymore.

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=24048.msg208785#msg208785

As the the /usr/share/kde4/services/kded/device_automounter.desktop line wasn’t change to 1.
Before after every upgrade I had to manually edit the line changing the 1 to 0.

Running next 2 steps seems everything is fine.

1. Start ‘Removable Device Automounter’ from the terminal Service Manager.
kcmshell4 kcmkded
  1. Then run from terminal. Pick the right options from the KDE ‘Removable Devices module’.
kcmshell4 device_automounter_kcm

Show usb drives selected for auto-mount on boot. And automounter is running.
But doesn’t work none of the drives are auto-mounted in Dolphin.

Hplip is installed by default in Manjaro, so it is in Netrunner as well.

Each one of the extra Krita and Okular shortcuts as well as other duplicates are upstream and part of the reason they are hidden. Many applications apear in more than one place in the menu or not actually duplicates but launch the application using different CL switches.

If you don’t want to see the hidden entries in kmenuedit the go into Settings > Configure KDE Menu Edit and deselect Show Hidden Entries.

Both kcmshell4 kcmkded and device_automounter_kcm are KDE4 based and not supported under Plasma 5.
You could use removable devices in the control panel and write a rule there to auto mount the drive, otherwise systemd.mount, systemd.automount, and/or fstab is the correct ways to mound drives.

All of my USB hard drives just show up in the notifications and in dolphin automatically when I connect them.
What are you needing the USB drives to do exactly?

Yep understand Hplip is installed by default. But someone not familiar with uninstalling may fear not knowing what is removed with it. As in my example I do not know if any of those other packages are needed by other programs? I would think a large number of desktops and laptops do not have a need for printer drivers by default. Could be wrong tho. As Windows doesn’t do it by default.

I need my always plugged in usb drives to auto-mount on bootup. There was always a way to set these in system settings>removable drives. Which isn’t there anymore. As a general desktop user. Don’t have the desire to Terminal or edit fstab as in my eyes that is a step backwards. As had an easy gui solution before.

As more for production use trying to minimize trouble-shooting,tweaking and fixing system. Maybe for me I need to look for more stable and always working with minimal disruption to my desktop. Maybe Plasma 5 isn’t quite there and ready yet for my needs. As missing features and bugs still impacting my time and workflow.

Thanks for the help and explanations.

Many users just install gnome-disks, this will let you set up the drive to mount at boot and it only has a few dependencies.