Install suggested packages as default in apt-get and muon

I see in last edition you deleted pulseaudio. It seems to be nice for most common desktop setup, but could break some packages like kazam.

In case of kazam it depends in some python with gstreamer package that depends on libpulse.
libpulse doesn’t depends of pulseaudio just suggest it, so kazam is installed but pulseaudio doesn’t.

When you start kazam, it will fail because it can’t connect to pulseaudio.

Maybe libpulse should depend on pulseaudio but it doesn’t. So easy choice could be to make default installer to install suggested packages.

If it is set as default, when I install kazam, it will install pulseaudio and kazam will work out of the box!

Maybe the package manager should give option to user to see if him really needs this suggested package. (Like software center suggest addons for each package).

Just an idea.

If the kazam package is not depending on pulseaudio but without it doesn’t work then this is an kazam packaging error and has nothing to do with suggests.

Hi pablodav,

I think it’s a good idea that kubuntu/netrunner might suggest “pulseaudio” if kazam is to be installed.
We’ll see if that can be done in Kubuntu, as we inherit their package structure.

Thanks for your answer, hope you could tell me if I can do something else to help with this.

Cheers.

Hi pablodav,

what leszek meant, when he pointed out, that making pulseaudio a dependency when you install kazam might not work, what happens when you uninstall kazam? I am not sure if packages can be done whenever you install X, Y is installed too as suggestion, but when Y is removed X can stay. I believe there could be an option in the variuos package managers that make you tick to always install suggestions?

Dependencies won’t be autoremoved when you uninstall the package which installed it as a dependency. (They will get on a autoremove list however, so they can be remove with sudo apt-get autoremove. But this works only when no other package depends on it)
Instead of suggests there is also the recommends part in a deb package what might be also one thing to take a look at as those recommends are installed by default when you install a package.
But if kazam is definitely not running without pulseaudio it should have pulseaudio as a dependency in the package information as this is simply the definition of a dependency :wink:

Thanks to you all for these responses.
I’m don’t know how to request a change for kazam to depend on pulseaudio. It really doesn’t works if pulseaudio is not installed, so should be there as dependency.

Hope someone could tell me what to do, or request this change :slight_smile: Hope this change could be done in this and future releases.

[quote]Thanks to you all for these responses.
I’m don’t know how to request a change for kazam to depend on pulseaudio. It really doesn’t works if pulseaudio is not installed, so should be there as dependency.
[/quote]

On the long term it would be good if the maintainers of the package (as I see it in this case its a debian maintainer and ubuntu imported the package and netrunner just uses it) would make this change so that all debian based linux distributions would profit from it. I wrote a bug report to debian already.