KDE crash with black screen ? empty ~/.cache to fix that !

KDE Linuces often crash and leave the user with a cursor on a black desktop only, i.e. the GUI is dead for good -

often caused by plasma or kdestart failing, but probably you can still

go CTRL ALT BACKSPACE :cool: to login-screen “sddm” :heart:
and go to CTRL ALT F1 :cool: console.

often there you can
adduser newguy

sudo visudo may be helpful too

with ALT-F7 :heart: you then often can relogin nicely as that new user, but the old user’s KDE remains broken.

BUT at least, now you have your KDE GUI back to start reworking your GNU/Linux installation.

on netrunner 16 :angel: I found that in such cases, deleting most stuff (maybe leave /mozilla/ dir in place)
from /home/user1/.cache will fix your KDE of the old user ! i.e. the [color=#ff3366]~/.cache[/color] is [color=#996633]poisoned[/color] and crashes kdestart somehow. :dodgy:

if in doubt, just delete the complete ~/.cache directory content, it should not hurt your GNU / Linux, because it is just a cache, that means it is redundant and will be healed after the next reboot.

maybe on my next crash I will look up, which file is actually corrupted. :rolleyes:

Plasma 5.3.0 crashed/freeze

Amarok plays for any time or i write on Forum and . Then nothing goes. << Bad english i know, sorry.

Habe keine Erklärung wodurch es passiert. Musik spielt oder während ich im Forum schreibe. Auf einmal geht nix mehr. “CTRL ALT BACKSPACE” funktioniert, ist aber nicht die Lösung? Plasma 5.3.1?

Auch werden die Desktopeinstellungen “Dia” für die Hintergrundbilder nicht gespeichert. Der externe Ordner (andere Partition) mit Wallpapers muss nach dem Start neu eingerichtet werden.
Teste jetzt noch, Wallpapers in Netrunner/Home kopieren und dann einbinden.
Gruss Peter

I fear its a bug in the graphics driver.
Please try to disable the desktop effects and see if this helps.

Hmm,

Im Moment = ĂĽber 3 Stunden alles Prima :huh:

XnView MP nachinstalliert > Quelle XnView, 30 Bilder Größe geändert

Wallpaper sind jetzt im Netrunner/home Mod Dia

Alles funzt :shy:

Das Problem mit dem Einbinden externer Ordner scheint die Ursache zu sein. Beim Boot werden nur die eigene Partitionen gebootet = / und /home.
Sollen z.B. für Amarok die Musiktitel einem Ordner auf einer anderen Partition zugeordnet werden, so ist nach einen reboot die Verknüpfungspfad im Programm noch eingetragen, aber funktioniert nicht mehr. D. h. z.B. bei Amarok, dass die alte Wiedergabeliste gelöscht werden muss und dann wieder per c+p erneuert werden muss.
Auch sehe ich, leider zu kurz, dass beim Booten angezeigt wird, dass mehrere devices nicht gefunden werden! :?:

Sind die anderen Partitionen den in der /etc/fstab eingetragen ? Falls nicht werden die natĂĽrlich auch nicht gemountet.

Das Installationsprogramm hat keine Möglichkeit (s. z.B. beim Acritox-Installer) das ausgewählt werden kann welche Devices beim Booten eingebunden werden sollen (bei Acritox default alle).

Wenn ich vorher Dolphin öffne und das Device, z.B. für Music, auf einer externen Partition durch Öffnen mounte, dann findet Amarok auch die Locale Sammlung auf diesem Device.

Wie soll ein “Frischling” denn im Nachhinein ein automatisches Mounten beim Boot für seine gewünschten Devices ausführen?
FrĂĽher ging das, glaube ich, mit KDiskFree mit abhaken, aber jetzt nicht mehr. Der Befehl wird jetzt abgefragt.
Oder ĂĽbersehe ich da was?

Autofs (oder amd?) wäre natürlich ideal, vor allen wenn über ein Programm, Beispiel Amarok, beim Einrichten der Localen Sammlung auf einen anderen Device, der Mountpunkt dabei entsprechend gesetzt wird.

Ich möchte auch keine /etc/fstab nachträglich editieren. :frowning:

Es gibt leider den Punkt “Wechseldatenträger” noch nicht für Plasma 5. Aber mit einem kleinen Workaround sollte das klappen: http://askubuntu.com/questions/613313/kde-plasma-5-missing-removeable-devices-option

heute nach dem Login war auf dem Desktop zu lesen: (Handy gestöpselt)

Handy schuld?

Bitte erstelle fĂĽr neue Fehler einen neuen Thread. Das hat hier leider nichts mehr mit dem Ausgangsthema zu tun.
Zudem ist die Sprache im Forum Englisch. Ich wĂĽrde dich bitten das in Zukunft zu beachten, ansonsten wird das alles zu chaotisch hier.

Jein. Dbus war nicht geladen und das Handy wurde erkannt und der Wechseldatenträgerdienst war vor der dbus Sitzung bereits dabei das Handy einzubinden.

Hi leszek,

habe noch eine Variante herausgefunden:

Habe dieses Programm nachinstalliert, dann in Krunner mit kdesu gnome-disks geöffnet und mir die entsprechende Partition markiert und über die Einstellungen (Symbol Zahnräder) Einhängeoptionen bearbeiten, automatisches einhängen auf EIN gestellt.

Passt :wink:

Ah ok schön das es geklappt hat. Ich wusste nicht das gnome-disks das auch kann.

Thank you very much for pointing this out,
I was able to re-login after renaming the .cache folder!

Cheers
Sven

Unfortunately, deleting the cache did not help on my other machine with Ozymandias on it
which is now always showing only a black screen and the mouse arrow after graphical login.

:frowning:

Sven

Did you try a new user account and see if it works with it?
Is alt+f2 working for you on that black screen and opens up the krunner application starter?
Maybe disabling the desktop effects with ctrl+shift+f12 will show your desktop. (It might be loaded but the broken graphicsdriver makes it unable to see it with enabled desktop effects)

Dear Leszek,
why should I do that?
What gain could that possibly bring?
I already know that it was possible to have a working user account in this system configuration,
because on Sunday this user account was still working.
I have not done any software installations since then,
so it is probably something that broke within the user account.

If you give me a reason, I’ll go on and do it.

I don’t know about Alt+F2, but Alt+Tab does not work (no reaction at all).
Compositing had already been turned off by setting “Enabled” to “false”.
And, of course, I had deleted the ~/.cache directory.

If that is of interest to you:
Last week, when I was still naive and foolish, when I did not yet know about black desktop problems,
I replaced the free graphics driver by the recommended nvidia one (nvidia-346). Just to see
if I would get a system that is more stable (because the desktop freezes were alredy there).
But I got the impression that the situation did not improve, so I changed it back to the original driver.
This was last Friday. On Saturday the system was being heavily used despite the frequent freezes.
And on Monday the Big Blackness began.

Do you think that it might be worthwile to try if the blackness will disappear if the nvidia driver is activated?

Sven

After reading about the “PerpetualBlackScreenOfDoom™” in other forums,
and from my own experiences with this problem so far,
I now think that putting

find $HOME/.c* -name "*.lock" -and -delete

into a suitable startup file would be a persistent workaround of the plasmashell deadlock.
It would not avoid the deadlock itself, but allow an un-deadlocked restart after the deadlock occurred.
I will tell you the results, after I got a chance to try that out.

References:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=125034
http://askubuntu.com/questions/614447/black-screen-after-login-kubuntu-15-04