KDE Workspaces 4 reaches EOL this August

If you haven’t switched over to Plasma 5 yet, time may just be running out:
http://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2015/08/kde-workspaces-411-end-of-life-this.html

I’ve been saying for months (not on these boards obviously given when I signed up) that this is the dumbest decision KDE team could possibly make, and will make KDE5 go into history even worse than Gnome3. Even on it’s 4th major pont release, plasma 5 is unstable, lacking major features (screensavers, HELLO???), and just thoroughly a disgraceful release to be called stable. I would think after the fiasco of the 4.0 release, they might have learned to make their software at least SOMEWHAT complete and stable, but apparently, releasing unstable garbage as production is par for the course with the KDE team. They quite frankly seem to make Microsoft look downright stable, and efficient in their coding since it took to 4.3 for KDE4 to actually be truly usable, and appears it’ll be AT LEAST till 5.4 for the same with the new version.

You still use screensavers, that’s so 90’s…
The only instability I’ve seen lately has been in the Intel driver stack, which also effects many other applications besides plasma 5.

I love screensavers. I don’t use them for anything that they were designed for, I just like the pretty pictures, designs, etc. to be on my screen when I’m not using it (I often have 2 machines running, so while ones chugging away copying files, start the screensaver and play my games on the other one that’s in Windows). To me they’re just something like transparency, something that makes the desktop experience more pleasant looking. Not having them isn’t something I can’t live without, but it makes it so that KDE5 is that much less attractive looking than 4. What’s the point of 5 when 4 is so much more attractive looking since 5 doesn’t support many of the nice looking things that honestly was the main reason for running something as bloated as KDE in the first place? Although I realize that’s my personal opinion, and there will be many that disagree. I just wanted to explain where I’m coming from, and that to me, 5 is a downgrade in most every way from 4 (and from the multitudes of threads on many linux forums, I’m not alone).

As for stability, I’ve definitely had different experience. So much that I’m testing lxqt w/ openbox on one of my other machines, preparing to say goodbye to KDE permanently. That or I may go to Trinity, I always liked KDE 3.5 when it was around.

Well, I was only joking. They are planing on bringing back many features like screensavers, the ability to add new activities, etc. However, some things are more important than others and just not a priority.

I have run gnome 3, cinnamon, xfce and lxqt lately on my test machine and the intel driver issue effects them as well, just to a different extent for each of them. :wink:

I’ve used Cinnamon, LXQT, but mostly KDE. I’ve only been seeing instability with KDE, and only with plasma & krunner. I was never a fan of Gnome, and with 3, my dislike only increased. I’ve used every (major) version of KDE, and 4 around 4.5 timeframe was my favorite ever (although I really liked 2, which while 3 was improved, felt like more a continuation of 2 than a new version to me). I’m thinking of switching over my primary laptop from KDE5 to Trinity to see if KDE3 really was as good as I remember or if I’m looking in the past with rose colored goggles.

LOL, Plasma 5.4 has fixed many issues and added some new features.
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.3.95.php

Anyway, right now with the Intel driver stack I can’t play xonotic or alien arena. I’m getting crashes, freezes and artifacts in almost all my favorite 3D games. In xfce and lxqt I get display freezes and crashes if I try to use a compositor without switching from SNA to UXA.

Let’s fix UXA for Rolling 2015.09 :slight_smile:

Already fixed in update-pack 8.
http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=17999

MHWD 0.5.6 now defaults to UXA for Intel chips, this won’t change back until Intel fixes their driver stack.
So yes the next ISO release will have this fix.

Hopefully, Plasma 5.4 will be available by the final release as well.
Plasma 5.4 fixes the other crashes on log-out, and will also allow me to drop 2 packages from our repositories that I’ve been maintaining myself so far, plasma-volume-control and user-manager. These are now scheduled for official release as part of Plasma 5.4.

:slight_smile: :wink: :smiley:

In the Arch wiki, I read:

“The KDE 4 Plasma Desktop is currently in maintenance mode, and is expected to reach EOL in August 2015. [Citation Needed: KDE has announced EOL of 4.11.x, KDE4 is currently at 4.14.x so this statement needs to be verified.]”

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Plasma_Desktop

So, is this really EOL for KDE Workspaces 4? :expressionless:
Is transition to Plasma 5 really necessary in order to have a current system, and if so, what is the timeframe?

OK, KDE Software Compilation 4 is at version 4.14.x, each component of the DE enviroment has it’s own version numbering.
KDE Workspaces is the main component of KDE SC 4 and is now at version 4.11.x, I know this makes things confusing but this means that KDE version 4 is reaching it’s EOL.
KDE consists of 3 parts, the KDE framework, workspaces (Plasma), and applications that sit on top of them (Dolphin, kate. etc.), in KDE version 4 these were all bundled and released together as one big Software Compilation (KDE SC 4), for Plasma version 5 these three components now have separate release schedules.

https://www.kde.org/workspaces/
https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/
https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmanetbook/

So, after August, will the transition to Plasma 5 be no longer possible? Or will KDE Workspaces 4 just stop receiving updates?

It would be convenient if I could delay the transition at least until autumn, even at the cost of having a system that is not current. However, I understand that EOL components would cause conflicts with the rest of package updates, is that correct?

Transitioning over from KDE SC 4 to Plasma 5 is not exactly possible now,

Not only is the packaging, and release schedules different for all three parts of the new Plasma Desktop Environment, but the underlying technologies are also greatly different.

You’ll need to completely remove one to install the other.

This will be workspaces 4’s last update and will reach EOL soon after. While there will be some time to switch over, If you decide to wait and continue to run KDE workspaces 4 the security risk and incompatibility of to your system will grow larger over time.

“Transitioning over from KDE SC 4 to Plasma 5 is not exactly possible now”

AJSlye, you mean that the the process described in KDE SC 4 to Plasma 5 Tutorial,
http://forums.netrunner-os.com/showthread.php?tid=17392

would no longer work?

I am a bit confused. Assuming that I give up on upgrading to Plasma 5, and try a fresh install, which ISO of Netrunner Rolling should I use in order to end up with a Plasma 5 system?

That tutorial removes KDE SC 4 and installs Plasma 5 + KF5.
Only certain KDE Applications are left at their KDE SC 4 version (dolphin, kmail, etc.), and others have been updated to their KF5 based version.

After Plasma 5.4 is released, the next KDE Applications release (15.08), dolphin, baloo and akonadi will all be the new KF5 versions leaving very little left using kdelib4. Even the KDE PIM suite (Kmail, Kontact, Knotes, akregator, etc.) and the Telephony suite have been completely ported to KF5 in the (15.08) Applications release.

The next release of Netrunner Rolling is currently in the testing phase, a complete reinstall will be required when it’s released. Many aspects of Netrunner Rolling has changed since it’s original release, everything from the packaging of netrunner specific packages, to the way in which the ISO’s are created. We also changed the way in which updates are handled as to not change any settings that may have been personalized by the end user after Installation (Wallpapers, font settings, etc.), nor should any update add or remove any applications based on default changes for the current snapshot ISO.

That is a bit unfortunate, goes against the whole rolling release thing. What happens for those that are on Plasma 5 already but do not reinstall? No more updates?..

No, updates will still come from upstream, and the base system will continue to run, but the Netrunner specific packages and changes may not.

During the process of reworking the rolling edition and the creation of the new ISO’s, I had to make a few changes that would ensure that no future default setting and application changes would effect already installed systems. This required me to change the way in which these changes are packaged and applied to the system, thus making the new ISO’s very different than the previous ones.