Nvidia - Kernel module failed to build

Hello,

With the latest update of the Kernel (3.13.0.44 and 3.16.0.29) there is a problem with dkms.
The Nvidia driver (331) kernel module failed to build. With the previous version (3.13.0.43 and 3.16.0.28) it works.

This is a well know problem that happens sometimes : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-331-updates/+bug/1268257

So to prevent this kind of problem I want to disable Kernel auto update and make it manualy.
This is what I have done to disable Kernel auto update :

[code]# echo linux-image-generic hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

echo linux-headers-generic hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

echo linux-generic hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections[/code]

Is it the right way to disable Kernel auto update ? Is it an other solution to avoid problem with Nvidia driver and kernel update ?

Thank you

It is one way that works. (I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do this)

[quote]Is it an other solution to avoid problem with Nvidia driver and kernel update ?
[/quote]
Staying on one kernel is a solution.
Normally a kernel update should not create such problems in the first place. Which makes me wondering from where you installed that kernel ? The only kernel I see in trusty-updates currently is 3.13.0-39.66 where did you get the 3.16 kernel from ?
The only other solution I see would be installing always the latest nvidia driver manually and recompile the module on kernel update.

Ok thank you I will stay on that.

I totally agree, normally a Kernel update should not create such problems but I found that on Linux you always have to deal with bugs that should not exist or happen but are here since a long time ago :wink:
Anyway the Kernel update come from the official repo as you can see here http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/kernel/
The 3.13 series is from trusty and 3.16 is from utopic (backport ?)

It is a serious bug. Imagine if you are not an experienced user, you update your system and you have a black screen on reboot…

It’s a major bug but I don’t take it so serious as its a third party driver and you always have the safe mode to boot and reinstall/remove the broken nvidia driver.
But of course that’s the perspective.

So you got the kernel from the official repo (so main or security?) and not the Backports or proposed sources?

[quote=“leszek, post:4, topic:2889”]

It’s a major bug but I don’t take it so serious as its a third party driver and you always have the safe mode to boot and reinstall/remove the broken nvidia driver.
But of course that’s the perspective. [/quote]
Of course but if you don’t know that, like 95% of simples users you finally say that Linux is crappy and you return to Windows because you simply want something that works.

How can I know that ?

By default proposed and Backports are disabled. You can take a look at synaptics or softwaresources to see if proposed or Backports are enabled.

So Proposed is disabled and Backports is enabled but I think the updated kernel come from trusty-updates

Then this is an unacceptable error here. I hope they will fix it asap.

Me too but as you can see in the bug report link I paste ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-331-updates/+bug/1268257 ) on my first post, this bug is here for at least 1 year…

The more comments I read about this the more I wish nvidia would release their driver under an opensource license so it can be integrated into kernel more easily

It would be great but I think it’s not going to happen anytime soon with Nvidia.
It is a pity because their drivers are very good.