plasmashell freeze (no plasma widgets respond, including control panels, menus)

Ah, so this driver is really faulty?

OK, so that’s the next thing I’ll try, I’ve just installed [color=#000000][font=monospace]nvidia-346:amd64 (346.59-0ubuntu1).[/font][/color]

Of course I have turned off the desktop effects. On Ozimandias I always
deactivate compositing, as a workaround to this bug:
http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=17787

It did not seem to work at all.

First I switched to the recommended nvidia-346 in the driver manager.
After a restart, there seemed to be no change:

[code]lsmod |grep nouv

nouveau 1400832 1
ttm 98304 1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit 16384 2 i915,nouveau
drm_kms_helper 122880 2 i915,nouveau
drm 344064 12 ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
mxm_wmi 16384 1 nouveau
video 20480 3 i915,nouveau,asus_wmi
wmi 20480 3 mxm_wmi,nouveau,asus_wmi[/code]
And no “nvidia” in lsmod output.

Then I blacklisted nouveau, but this lead to some kind of kernel panic:

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request ...

So I ended up blacklisting nvidia to get back into a graphical desktop.

So, how can I get the nvida driver to work?
For today, I am fed up and won’t try every single driver in the driver manager’s list.

Looks like you have a hybrid graphic set up in your laptop?
Did you install bumblebee?
On this kind of setup the 2D is handled by the Intel chip and 3D by nvidia chip.
So this would mean that the Nvidia drivers wouldn’t be the issue, the Intel ones would.

A hybrid card wouldn’t list only the nouveau driver though.

Can you please post the output of

lscpi -nnk | grep -i "vga\|3d\ " -A2

Leszek, you asked sunito to “check for Nouveau GPU Lockup error messages” so he posted the section referring to the Nouveau diver. But his post right above my last one lists both the i915 and the nouveau drivers.

I’ve been experiencing a similar lock up once in a while, which has really slowed me down working on the ISO. I have only an Intel chip in this system, and it seems to happen more often when doing a lot of transferring and editing files. I’m not so sure this has to do with the graphic drivers.

[code]$ lspci -nnk | grep -i "vga|3d\ " -A2

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:105c]
Kernel driver in use: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] [10de:0df4] (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:105c]
Kernel driver in use: nouveau
[/code]

OK so you have a hybrid card. Can you try turning the Intel one off in bios/efi and see if this helps

So, what I extracted for Leszek looks like this “hybrid” setup, doesn’t it?

bumblebee does not seem to bee installed:

[code]$ dpkg -l “bumble

++±===========
un bumblebee [/code]

So, should I then try to get away from this “hybrid” configuration?
If yes, how?

OK, I’ll try that.
(Not now, maybe tomorrow)

In the BIOS, I have not found any option that looks like a graphics card.
Look again?
Is there any other way to deactivate the Intel part?

Too bad. Normally there is some way to turn of the Intel card on those boards. I am not sure if you find it under graphics card though. Bios and Efi normally use some other places to place this config.
If you have a manual for this motherboard maybe something you can find there otherwise try to search again in the various submenus if you can find something.

Is it not possible to turn it off (or ignore it) within the OS?

I don’t think that this is possible. I never heard of it.

NO, there is no way of doing this in software.

These setups are essentially the same thing as having two graphics cards in one system and selecting which one to use for which task, In this situation you would have to physically removing one of the cards from the machine to disable it.

On hybrid systems like yours, there is usually a setting in the bios for telling the system which one or both to turn use.

This setting is different on many systems, may I ask what make and model laptop you have?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hybrid_graphics

I re-installed 16 last night.

And I think I have this issue. I have re-installed a few times and never had this problem. But this time these issues arise.

1…Edit the start up command for Thunderbird then hit save. And the update system configuration went into a loop
2…After that when I would hit either the logout or shut down icon nothing would happen
3…When I hit the Power option in the settings it would just get the load icon and do nothing

regards

Mark