problem with calamares on pre6

Clicking the .desktop file to install never starts. I opened up konsole and tried calamares -d but I get the following:

[code][netrunner@netrunner_rolling ~]$ calamares -d
04:27:01 [1]: Calamares version: 1.1.3
Translation: Calamares: Using system locale: “en_US”
Translation: Qt: Using default locale, system locale one not found: “en_US”
04:27:01 [1]: Default font =====
Pixel size: -1
Point size: 9
Point sizeF: 9
Font family: “DejaVu Sans”
Metric height: 14
04:27:01 [1]: Font height: 14
04:27:01 [1]: Available languages: (“ar”, “ast”, “ca”, “cs_CZ”, “da”, “de”, “en”, “en_GB”, “es_MX”, “es”, “fi_FI”, “fr”, “hr”, “hu”, “id”, “it_IT”, “ja”, “lt”, “nl”, “pl”, “pt_BR”, “pt_PT”, “ro”, “ru”, “sk”, “sl”, “sv”, “th”, “tr_TR”, “zh_CN”, “zh_TW”)
KDSingleApplicationGuard: Could neither create nor attach to shared memory segment.
QSharedMemomry::create() failed: QSharedMemoryPrivate::initKey: unable to set key on lockQSharedMemomry::attach() failed: QSharedMemoryPrivate::initKey: unable to set key on lock

Calamares is already running, shutting down.
04:27:01 [8]: Shutting down Calamares…
04:27:01 [8]: Finished shutdown. [/code]

I did a search for the KDSingleApplicationGuard stuff, but the only results are from pastebin showing pretty much the same thing… posted by AJSLYE So I’m assuming it’s the same person as on here, and also assuming either it’s a know issue (the pastebin was posted in July), or there’s something I’m unaware of…

I originally tried with pre6c with the same issue, then went back and downloaded just pre6. Should I use an older version (5?), am I missing something obvious, or should I just quit being impatient and wait for the official release (not easy when my current setup’s having some issues, prompting a multi-distro hopping excursion… but I digress…)?

KDSingleApplicationGuard comes up if you already have calamares running in the background, this is meant to stop it from running twice.
Reboot into the live media and run calamares from the console, not from the desktop icon, then post the output in a code box or using pastbin.
If I remember correctly it was my hard drives partitioning that caused calamares to take a very long time to load when I posted that pastbin error.

Also, Calamares version 1.1.3 wasn’t on the pre6c ISO, I had just uploaded this version of Calamares to the repository yesterday. Did you run an update while in live mode prior to launching the installer?

Please keep in mind that most of these pre-release ISO’s are meant for internal testing and are still being worked on.
However, after looking at the repository I now realize that I may have removed the 2015.06-pre ISO’s that we’re officially announced in this forum by mistake, since I no longer have these older ISO’s, I’ll apologize now for my mistake.

Please feel free to test any ISO you wish, just keep in mind that these are not officially released. :wink:

I tried it again without using the desktop icon… Everything seems to go well, until it starts actually installing. Here’s the new error:

... 15:14:18 [0]: Starting job "hwclock" 15:14:19 [0]: Starting job "services" 15:14:19 [1]: tbMsg " File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/services/main.py", line 29, in run\n disable = libcalamares.job.configuration['disable']\n" 15:14:19 [0]: Installation failed: 15:14:19 [0]: - message: "Boost.Python error in job \"services\"." 15:14:19 [0]: - details: "<div><strong><class 'KeyError'></strong></div><div>('disable',)</div><div>Traceback:</div><div><pre> File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/services/main.py", line 29, in run\n disable = libcalamares.job.configuration['disable']\n</pre></div>" 15:14:32 [8]: Shutting down Calamares... 15:14:32 [8]: Finished shutdown. 15:14:32 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:32 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread 15:14:33 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread

Ideas?

Btw, great job on taking an already awesome distro like Manjaro and making it even better. :slight_smile:

That reminds me, might be worth mentioning here, the main reason I started hopping around from Manjaro was because of network issues. Having used a few different distros now, it seems to be a problem with all of them (that I’ve tried). Considering everything worked fine previously, It seemed to be some change in the newer/updated distros. After a bit of digging, I’m still not 100%, but I managed to get it sorted out by removing anything and everything ipv6 related, and manually configuring eth0 and dhcpcd. I’m not sure about the ipv6 stuff, since disabling it didn’t really help on it’s own, but telling network-manager to keep it’s fingers off my hard wired connection and bypassing resolvconf (program not the file), seems to have fixed it.

I bring it up in case you want to investigate it further and maybe provide an option during install to set a connection the old way, bypassing the automation (which isn’t needed in a home network environment on desktop, IMHO).

If your having issue with ipv6 this would be caused by one or both of two factors, your ISP and/or your router do not support it.

My router does support it and has dhcp for ipv6 built in, but I disabled it. My ISP does not offer it yet. My thoughts are that it’s not necessary for the local network. I disabled it everywhere though, because all the search results I ran across were offering it as a possible fix to the issue I was having. Like I said, I didn’t really think it had any effect on my issue though. What did work was manually configuring all the network settings.

Any thoughts on the last calamares error?

I’m not sure, I’ve run both Calamares 1.1.2 (pre6a-c) and 1.1.3 (pre6d) on several different machines and have had no major issues with it.
Other than taking a while to open and missing the install along side option when the /boot partition on the hard drive is formatted ext2, the latter has been fixed but the former has only became a few seconds quicker.

Did you verify the md5sum before burning the ISO to your media?

I did. No rush… I know you’ve got other things to do besides chat on here. I’ll keep checking on the updates. If I find anything new to report I’ll start a new thread, unless you want to continue this one. Anything specific you want tested, let me know, and I’ll check it out as best I can. Cheers.

No not really, I did upload simplemenu to the repository, you can check that out if you wish.

For what it’s worth, I was having trouble getting Calamares to work in any form (ending with memory problems) until I deleted some partitions created by an earlier install of openSUSE, so there may be some trouble with certain types of partitions, still. Chakra’s Tribe crashed also until I deleted the old partitions, so the problem may not be confined to Calamares.

Yes, some times the way a drive was previously partitioned may be off and cause issues with installers. partitioning software, etc.