Problem with time settings

I have wrote a workaround, you can use it. Check in my previous reply.

Cheers.

Just a ‘bump’ on this thread. I am having the same problem as the others who have weighed in so far.

BTW, I tried Pablo’s fix and got the following error message:

“ln: target ‘/etc/localtime’ is not a directory”

Maybe I typed the command in improperly, but I did it several times :dodgy:. Could be I just didn’t hold my mouth right…

Anyway, any help or update on the permanent fix would be great!

THX,
Hawkeye52

P.S. Sorry pablodav – the error message I got was due to an error on my part, not your suggested fix. Once I changed my ‘idiot’ input error from /America/Los Angeles to /America/Los_Angeles, you fix worked perfectly. My bad…

Could you explain the fix a little more clearly? I must be doing it incorrectly. What, exaclty, do I need to do to set it for Chicago or CDT time?

LNXlady,

I can’t speak for pablodav, but after reading his post on this thread, and then your situation, if you bring up the terminal and type:

sudo ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime

And then hit ‘enter’ and then type ‘exit’, you should be good to go after a ‘Logout’ and ‘Login’. Just make sure you leave a space between Chicago and /etc/localtime. Hope this works for you…

Hawkeye52

Thank you…but it didn’t work. :frowning: My time went from 1:10pm (which I had manually set it to and is correct) to 8:10am after logging out and back in.

IMO, the network time protocal, is not worth the effort nor is setting the clock to GMT. I boot to 5 OS’s and I went through, a lot of problems, with PClinux, becasue it’s time setting Utility not only sets the virtual clock, but the RTC (hwclk) as well. I haven’t has an issue with Netrunner cause I set it up to match, my RTC. It only takes a moment to enter your BIOS, once in awhile and move the clock forward or back a few minutes.
Is, all this automation and being in sync, to the seocnd worth it? Being in sync with an atomic clock doesn’t matter to me.
How about the good old, Date Command? That will set system time without touching the RTC.
P.S I wish we had a, Spell Checker for this. I apologize for mispelled words.

Yeah that should be the case.
hwclock is for setting the hardware clock if you wish.

I’m not worried about syncing within a second. My clock is 5-7 HOURS wrong. People keep asking why I’m sending emails at 2am and when I explain that it’s my bugged OS, it doesn’t make Linux look very good to them. My calendar and alarms are now useless. If you know a simple way to fix this, please give details that a non-geek can follow because I’m in the process of finding a new distro to replace Netrunner. I’ve used it a few years now and hate to leave but this is a nuisance I can’t deal with for much longer.

ETA: Using the Date command already shows the correct date and time, so I don’t think setting the time with that command is going to help.

The new tzdata package uploaded into enigma-1306-updates ppa should fix the issue with kde timezone settings.

Is it different than the tzdata package in 12.12? I had a tzdata update this morning, but it didn’t fix the problem.

Yeah it is different.

Can I use it with 12.12 then? Or will it be added to the 12.12 repo?

You can use it in 12.12 aswell just download and install the packages tzdata and tzdata-java from the enigma-1306-updates ppa.

It looks like that worked. What a relief! Thanks.

[quote=“LNXlady, post:28, topic:1155”]

I realize this, but again my opinion, and it’s just that, it’s not worth the hassle. When I install, I jsut set it to my hardware clock. You can use the date command, without altering your RTC, “hadware clock”.
I’ve found it so much easier this way. run man date, and you shoucl be able to set, the sytem time (virtual clock), wiht out setting your RTC. With numerous OS’s, it made my life so much easier.
Your BIOIS clock is being changed and that’s why you are Hours off.
I only offer, what works for me.
;);):wink: