[SOLVED] Can't do full system update

After doing a fresh clean install of 2014.04 Rolling, I find I can’t perform a full system upgrade.

Here’s what I did:

sudo pacman -Syy

Everything went OK

sudo pacman -S manjaro-keyring

Everything went OK but I had to do this twice

sudo pacman -Suu

This bombed out with the following error:

resolving dependencies... looking for inter-conflicts... error: unresolvable package conflicts detected error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies) :: libbaloo4 and baloo are in conflict (baloo<=4.14.0-1)

How do I resolve this.

Later …

I’ve found the solution here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1456342#p1456342

It seems to have worked OK but if I spot any problems, I’ll report back.

Isn’t this fun :smiley:

Manjaro is beginning the transition to KDE Plasma 5, some of the package names are changing so you can remain on KDE SC 4 if you so desire. You’ll need to remove baloo and baloo-widgets and install baloo4 and baloo-widgets4 manually if the updater isn’t making this change for you automatically like it did for me.

This seems to be getting a bit complicated and I suspect things may tend to get a bit messy in the very near future :-/

No this should be a relatively smooth transition, Like I said my system switched from baloo to baloo4 automatically, but I’ve been following the updates regularly. This is one of the reasons that on a new installs I recommend installing octopi-nitifier, it’s a small utility that sits in the tray to notify the user of updates.

I believe that why your system didn’t update these files properly is probably due to this being a fresh install from an older release, once a New ISO is released this should ease the situation on New installs.

Yes, I’ve just grabbed a copy of the new ISO and my next job is to do yet another fresh clean install :wink:

You do realize that on a rolling system re-installing fresh has very little to offer over one that is already installed and up-to date?

Yes, I understand that but I already stated my reason for doing it in another post.

so is baloo4 the new Plasma 5 package or just baloo?

Plasma 5 packages you can only find in our unstable branch. Do the needful to change to unstable.

@philm
Fiirst I’d like to ask, how was the vacation?

Here is what is in the repository:
baloo 4.14.0-1
baloo4 4.14.0-3
baloo-widgets 4.14.0-1
baloo4-widgets 4.14.0-1
baloo4-akonadi 4.14.0-3
libbaloo4 4.14.0-3

I just figured that the developers we’re preparing for baloo 5.0.

Please use pacman -Ss:

[phil@manjaro ~]$ pacman -Ss baloo extra/baloo4 4.14.0-3 A KDE4 framework for searching and managing metadata extra/baloo4-akonadi 4.14.0-3 Baloo resource for Akonadi extra/baloo4-widgets 4.14.0-1 Widgets for Baloo extra/kf5-baloo 5.0.1-2 A framework for searching and managing metadata extra/kf5-baloo-widgets 5.0.1-1 Widgets for the baloo framework for searching and managing metadata extra/libbaloo4 4.14.0-3 Libraries for baloo4 extra/milou 5.0.1-1 Dedicated search application built on top of Baloo

Here is my output on stable:

[james@James-Laptop ~]$pacman -Ss baloo extra/baloo 4.14.0-1 A framework for searching and managing metadata extra/baloo-widgets 4.14.0-1 Widgets for Baloo extra/baloo4 4.14.0-3 [installed] A KDE4 framework for searching and managing metadata extra/baloo4-akonadi 4.14.0-3 [installed] Baloo resource for Akonadi extra/baloo4-widgets 4.14.0-1 [installed] Widgets for Baloo extra/libbaloo4 4.14.0-3 [installed] Libraries for baloo4

PS. Personally, I never recommend anything other than stable to a new user, this helps to keep down the number of support requests. I also like to be running what the user would be using so that I can give the best support possible.
:wink: