[SOLVED] Hang on reboot after recent update

I have one more Idea what could be causing your issue, Netrunner Rolling uses zramswap, Manjaro doesn’t.

You might try uninstalling it and rebooting.

sudo pacman -R zramswap

If you need this functionality systemd-swap is available in the official Manjaro repositories.

Don’t tell me zram wasn’t patched in manjaro before 3.17 kernel?
That would of course explain the problem. But only if zram this means swap is used at all during bootup.
If it is not used it can’t cause a freeze.

I had high hopes for this and removed the zram package and replaced with a traditional swap partition and rebooted. It froze as usual. :frowning:

I think I was a little to fast with my last post as I missed that the zram fixes from 3.17 were all backported to older kernels newer revision numbers.
So just ignore my last post.

What did you mean by traditional swap partition? The Manjaro installer (thus) normally creates a swap partition based on how much ram is installed in your system. Could you post a description or gparted image of how exactly your system is partitioned? Are you sharing the /home partition in Netrunner with any other Linux install?

@leszek Where did you find out about what patches are back ported in Manjaro? Manjaro maintains their OWN kernels they don’t use upstream’s. Besides, I wasn’t questioning zram itself, just zramswap as it isn’t even available in the official Manjaro repositories. I have however found the zramctl and systemd-swap packages available though.

As manjaro is basing there kernels on upstream releases I simply assumed the version number of the kernel indicates the version of upstream kernel they were basing on.

Zram is zramswap or do you mean the script that creates the zram devices?

I’ve installed many, many times and I’ve tried to keep the disk layout as simple as possible. The root “/” partition is 10GiB, clean formatted as ext4 (no separate partitions for /home, /var etc). Most of the installs automatically used zram for swap. For the latest installs I removed zram and replaced with a dedicated 2GiB swap partition, formated with mkswap.

@leszek,
I know what zram is and what it can be used for thanks, and yes I meant the zramswap package (script’s), which by the way after looking at the package content’s is the exactly same thing as installing zramctl and systemd-swap together, but with older versions.

As far as kernel maintenance, Arch Linux only has two kernels in their repositories at any given time, the current stable and lts releases, they don’t back-port patches, they just update to the latest releases from kernel.org. I’m not sure if Manjaro uses the Arch kernels initially or not, you may want to ask Phil that question, I do know that at times when a kernel became EOL by kernel.org, Manjaro has uses the Canonical extended support patches.

@ touc82,
Thanks for the info, I was just wondering. I would stick with Manjaro KDE for now, as long as it does not start acting the same thing on you. Your the first person so far to report this exact Issue, I’m not quite sure what could have been installed, or setup differently on your Netrunner Rolling install from that of the Manjaro KDE edition installation that could be causing it to react so badly with your hardware.

OK, I think I’ve cracked it. The problem is being caused by the tlp package (Linux Advanced Power Management). This was added for the latest 2014.09.1 spin, replacing the laptop-mode-tools package. The pacman log gives the details:

[2014-09-10 10:48] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -R laptop-mode-tools'
[2014-09-10 10:48] [ALPM] warning: /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf$
[2014-09-10 10:48] [PACMAN] removed laptop-mode-tools (1.64-1)
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Sy tlp iw smartmontools thermald'
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] synchronizing package lists
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] installed rfkill (0.5-1)
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] installed tlp (0.5-2)
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] installed iw (3.14-1)
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] installed smartmontools (6.3-1)
[2014-09-10 10:49] [PACMAN] installed thermald (1.3-2)

There are two obvious ways to get around the problem, either remove the tlp package or modify it’s config (/etc/default/tlp), changing the default RUNTIME_PM_ALL=1 to RUNTIME_PM_ALL=0 i.e. disable it.

Given that I’m using a desktop I’ll remove the tlp and a few of the laptop related packages.

Thanks @AJSlye & @leszek for your suggestions. I should of probably stopped looking at this a few days ago, but I don’t like ‘not knowing’.

Cheers

That’s strange because Manjaro also replaced laptop-mode-tools with TLP on the 0.8.10 media’s, maybe there is just a setting that is different between Manjaro KDE and Netrunner Rolling. Anyway, since you have a desktop and not a laptop, I would just remove or reconfigure TLP to your own requirements and/or specification.

I’m so glad you figured it out.