[SOLVED] Loud click through speakers

Every time I start a music file playing, I’m getting a loud click through the speakers. I also get it during the bootup process. This did not happen with 2014.04, any ideas what’s causing it?

First guess powersaving options were turned on and the soundchip is turned off then if nothing is played back and turns itself on when you request to play sound. This sort of things create click noises.
There is a section here telling you how to enable powersaving for audio chips. You can try doing the other way disabling it by setting =0
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_saving#Audio

When I click on an audio file in Dolphin, I get the loud click first and then the audio file does actually start playing.

Yeah thats exactly the symptom of a soundcard being in powersave mode and waking up when you want to access it.

From my understanding you could do this:

Edit tlp file:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP

In Terminal:

kdesudo kate /etc/default/tlp

Find the following section:

Enable audio power saving for Intel HDA, AC97 devices (timeout in secs).

A value of 0 disables / >=1 enables power save.

SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_AC=(change this value here to “0” without the quotes)
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_BAT=(change this value here to “0” without the quotes)

Disable controller too (HDA only): Y/N

SOUND_POWER_SAVE_CONTROLLER=(change this value here to “N” without the quotes)

And save the file.

NOTE! This will leave your sound chip on all the time. Even when on battery. So a little more battery drain is normal.
Also with a non-grounded speaker system you will hear the typical electrical humming sound when not playing anything (depends on your sound system / headphone system).

PS! On battery you could use the sound going to sleep function. And set the time in seconds for it.
When using the number 1 as suggested in the file. It will go to sleep almost instantly and that produces a lot of that annoying cliquey sound you are trying to minimize.

Example:

SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_BAT=(change this value here to “300” without the quotes means 5 minutes and then the sound chip goes to sleep when no sound is played)

OK, I tried disabling it but it didn’t make any difference but thanks anyway.
[hr]

[quote=“vaikus84, post:5, topic:2632”]

From my understanding you could do this:

Edit tlp file:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP

In Terminal:

kdesudo kate /etc/default/tlp

Find the following section:

Enable audio power saving for Intel HDA, AC97 devices (timeout in secs).

A value of 0 disables / >=1 enables power save.

SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_AC=(change this value here to “0” without the quotes)[/quote]
This was already set to “0” so I left it alone.

This was set to “1” so I changed it to “0”

[quote]# Disable controller too (HDA only): Y/N
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_CONTROLLER=(change this value here to “N” without the quotes)[/quote]
This was set to “Y” so I left it alone.

I saved the file, rebooted and although I still get a loud click during the boot process, I’m no longer getting the loud click prior to playing audio files. Thank you so much, this was driving me maaaaad :cool:

I don’t understand why this has fixed it because this is a Desktop PC ??