[SOLVED] No Thumbnails on Network Drives

Dolphin Feature/Bug/Packageing Issue?

Thumbnails are generated for local files but never for the files on my smb shares.
Dolphin Settings/General/Previews is on & video thumbnails is checked.
Use common properties is enabled.

Chris

Have you tried samba-mounter (Add network drive)?

Check the size field in Dolphin Settings/General/Previews . This is used for network shares. If you set it to low or 0 MB no preview will be generated for remote files.

I can browse my network SMB shares in Dolphin in the default config already.
I can mount the shares using the supplied “Network Drives” tool already.
Why would I need samba-mounter?

Chris
[hr]

Yes, Size field already set to maximum size.
I even tried adding ffmpegthumbnail to the system & checking the box in Dolphin to use that but nothing.
I have tried the search engines extensively already before asking here.
I cant figure out if it’s a limitation of Dolphin or a bug or a Netrunner packaging issue.

I saw some Kubuntu folks with the same issue suggesting mplayerthumbs
But this is not in the repo’s and the ppa they suggested is way out of date.

Hmmm a mystery… Maybe some strange config issue with Samba?
Our Mac’s can thumbnail the shares, Windows machines can, Linux Mate can.
Why not Dolphin?

Chris

Its working fine here too. A little bit slow but that could be because I tested it with a samba share on my phone. I tested it with the default included kffmpegthumbnailer and mplayerthumbs from precise-updates and both are working fine.
Hmm… the only thing I can think of is maybe trying to opening up the share in gwenview because it also generates thumbnails for images and videos. And maybe depending on the filesize wait a little while to see if it grabs the thumbnail. Especially big video files will take a while as I think the file will be downloaded in the background to /tmp to generate the preview. But I am not quite sure on this one.

Ok after wasting a ridiculous amount of time here getting to the bottom of this…

1. Install smb4k.
  2. Use smb4k to mount the share.

All thumbnailing & playback now works fine.
I think this is a KDE KIO strangeness about smb? (who cares, it works now).
I suggest smb4k be included & documented for the benefit of non developer users…

Thank you for your patient suggestions
Chris

chris2kari:
“Add Network Drive” = samba-mounter :slight_smile:
and should do the same as smb4k, so something else is very likely at fault…
If you add a drive with “Add Network Drive” it permanently mounts that drive via fstab, so no need for autostart etc.
Can you click on the desktop icon “Network” and look if you see any folders you added there?

Thank you for your previous suggestion to use “Add Network Drive”.
I had already tried that as soon as I had Installed NR 13.06.
On three systems here (2 Laptop, 1 Desktop) “Add Network Drive” does not work as expected.

Example :
I have an smb share on a Western Digital Mybook Live NAS called “Z”.
I use “Add Network Drive” to add this share (including correct share user/pass) & designate it as Z.
I now see a folder in Network called Z. (/home/chris/Desktop/Network/z).
No mounted share for z appears in Dolphin.
Browsing /home/chris/Desktop/Network/z shows no thumbnails & videos are not playable by VLC.

When I check /etc/fstab I see nothing unusual :

[code]# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

Use ‘blkid’ to print the universally unique identifier for a

device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices

that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

/ was on /dev/sda1 during installation

UUID=4909f36b-c16c-4cd9-825c-6923ac9880e3 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation

UUID=b2f117ef-f8c8-4f4b-9a9d-bcb50a9f05ea none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sr0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
[/code]

smb4k works that’s all I can say… :frowning:

NOTE : putting smb4k into kde startup was a bad idea.
Resulted in huge number of KDE error messages concerning the network shares being ‘inaccessible’ when logging into the desktop after restart.
Manually launching smb4k after the KDE desktop login has completed throws no errors & the shares are available in Dolphin.

Chris

Samba mounter does not use /etc/fstab. It uses a kde service to mount the smb share. Basically the same way as smb4k mounts the share. So technically there is no difference when it comes to mounting the share.
You can compare it if you want to (which will btw also help us to know what went wrong) by running the command mount in a terminal for both scenarios. So once after you mounted the share with samba mounter (and unmount) and once for smb4k .

Ok sorry for my confusion.

[quote=“leszek, post:9, topic:1267”]You can compare it if you want to (which will btw also help us to know what went wrong) by running the command mount in a terminal for both scenarios. So once after you mounted the share with samba mounter (and unmount) and once for smb4k .
[/quote]

1. Nothing at all mounted:
chris@TOSHIBA:~$ sudo mount
[sudo] password for chris: 
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
  1. Use “Add Network Drive” from Network shortcut on the desktop. No share visibly mounted in Dolphin:
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
  1. Use smb4k to mount the share. Share immediately visibly mounted in Dolphin
chris@TOSHIBA:~$ sudo mount                                                                                             
//MYBOOKLIVE/z on /home/chris/smb4k/MYBOOKLIVE/z type cifs (rw)

Chris