Thunderbird failed

[size=medium][size=large][size=medium]
I originally had Ubuntu in Feb, then switched to OpenSuse in Aug, and last week I started giving Netrunner Frontier a go.

I didn’t see Thunderbird in the start-up menus, so I attempted a download & new install. After a few tries and launching from Terminal, it worked until I shut down and restarted the system the next day.

Now, I rifled through all kinds of uninstall & reinstall solutions too no avail. In the start-up under Recent Applications, the icon disappeared, however under Internet I still show icons for Thunderbird Mail and now “Mozilla Build of Thunderbird” however neither works.

I’m not all that savy with Terminal, so it’s hard to diagnose if I removed or reinstalled the program properly.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

~frustrated using webmail
[/size][/size][/size]

Thunderbird comes preinstalled.
You can try reinstalling it with the command

sudo apt-get install --reinstall thunderbird

After attempting the reinstall above, and running in Konsolel,
I now get: “The program ‘thunderbird’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird” which I’ve tried several times previously.

There are some serious system issues going on, which looks like mostly software, although it could be that I have a bad hard drive cuz I’ve got that error during the Netrunner install.

Anyway, I may just do a whole new Netrunner reinstall.

I’ll reboot and see what happens . … Mucho mahalo for your kokua (Thanks for the help :slight_smile:
[hr]

Unfortunately, still no Thunderbird :frowning: (see attachment)
The Startup menu icons still says,
“KDEInit could not launch ‘thunderbird’;
Could not find ‘thunderbird’ executable”.

Also, no go launching from Konsole either, still has error
“The program ‘thunderbird’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird”

Hope there are some other solutions . . .

~not-giving-up-on-client-mail-cuz-webmail-still-too-slow!

There is no error message when you tried the apt-get procedure or is there?
What does the software center tell you about installed packages. Is thunderbird marked as installed?

[attachment=430][attachment=430][quote=“leszek, post:4, topic:2608”]
There is no error message when you tried the apt-get procedure or is there?
What does the software center tell you about installed packages. Is thunderbird marked as installed?
[/quote]

the apt-get procedure says thunderbird is already the lastest version; discover shows thunderbird installed (see attachments)

should I remove in discover and then reinstall?

You could try that.

I removed thunderbird from discover software center, then:

1. Ran apt-get install procedure - same error messages as above when launching in Konsole
    when I checked the Installed programs under the Discover Software Center it WASN’T shown installed;
    however when I went to re-install it in the software center, it showed REMOVE (indicating it was installed???)
  2. I Removed it in the software center, and reinstalled it in Konsole - still no go
  3. I Removed it in the software center, and reinstalled it in Discover - still no go

I’ll attempt a re-boot again and see what happens . . .
[hr]
[hr]
After reboot, still no go by installing thunderbird from Konsole or Software Center

(Software Center works: I installed qBitorrent and now downloading one of my favorite moves)

Please try that from within a terminal.

thunderbird

If it does not start execute

which thunderbird

and post its output here (please use quotes for that)

Btw. did you try installing thunderbird on any other manual way then via the packagemanager ?
Did you removed thunderbird (as it comes preinstalled) ?

1. from terminal, I ran sudo apt-get install --reinstall, and received the same previous outuput:
    [color=#FF69B4] “The program ‘thunderbird’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install thunderbird”[/color]

when I ran ‘which thunderbird’, there was no response or output

1. before finding this forum, I searched about a dozen different forums for solutions, and
    I may have installed manually (the ‘Mozilla Build of Thunderbird’ in the start-up menu is indicative of that, since that wasn’t there before)

2. I may have removed thunderbird (pre-installed) as well, because I copied and pasted code from different solutions that may not apply to my instance - I should have learned from using that bad strategy when troubleshooting Ubuntu :s

1. It is one line

The above command is to put in one line and should download and install the thunderbird package.
Does that work for you?

nope it doesn’t

One last idea. Can you execute /usr/bin/thunderbird ?Is it there ?
What is the output of the above sudo apt-get install command ?

Sometimes it is easier to reinstall the distro than to fight errors. If you don’t have anything important to lose, it is the simple solution. If you have dropbox installed, you can always drop important information in it, reinstall and retrieve what ever from dropbox after the reinstall. :angel:

yeah, I may just do a reinstall since I don’t have any important files store since I just installed recently.

thanks for all your help!
[hr]

1. No such file or directory

[color=#FF69B4][quote]mike@mike-305U1A:~$ sudo apt-get install
[sudo] password for mike:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
mike@mike-305U1A:~$ thunderbird
The program ‘thunderbird’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird[/quote][/color]

That’s just like I expected. Your putting in the command in a wrong way.
Please try again.
One line one command not two
“sudo apt-get install thunderbird”
You need to enter thunderbird after the install word so it knows what to install.
That’s also exactly what it tells you in the output of thunderbird that isn’t found.

Sorry, after running/executing these commands so many times, I got careless.

Here is the output after running ALL of the above solutions:

mike@mike-305U1A:~$ sudo apt-get install thunderbird
Sorry, try again.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  thunderbird-gnome-support thunderbird-locale-en xul-ext-lightning
Recommended packages:
  xul-ext-gdata-provider
The following packages will be upgraded:
  thunderbird thunderbird-gnome-support thunderbird-locale-en[/quote]
  xul-ext-lightning
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 29.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/universe xul-ext-lightning amd64 1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 [1,507 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main thunderbird-locale-en amd64 1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 [346 kB]
Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main thunderbird amd64 1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 [27.9 MB]
Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main thunderbird-gnome-support amd64 1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 [8,540 B]
Fetched 29.8 MB in 5min 5s (97.6 kB/s)                                         
(Reading database ... 209968 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../xul-ext-lightning_1%3a31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xul-ext-lightning (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over (1:31.1.1+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../thunderbird-locale-en_1%3a31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking thunderbird-locale-en (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over (1:31.1.1+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../thunderbird_1%3a31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking thunderbird (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over (1:31.1.1+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../thunderbird-gnome-support_1%3a31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking thunderbird-gnome-support (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over (1:31.1.1+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1) ...
Setting up thunderbird (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Setting up xul-ext-lightning (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Setting up thunderbird-locale-en (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Setting up thunderbird-gnome-support (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
The program 'thunderbird' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird
mike@mike-305U1A:~$  /usr/bin/thunderbird
bash: /usr/bin/thunderbird: No such file or directory
mike@mike-305U1A:~$  /usr/bin/thunderbird ?
bash: /usr/bin/thunderbird: No such file or directory
mike@mike-305U1A:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall thunderbird
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/27.9 MB of archives.
Preparing to unpack .../thunderbird_1%3a31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking thunderbird (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
mike@mike-305U1A:~$ sudo apt-get install thunderbird --reinstall thunderbird
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/27.9 MB of archives.
Unpacking thunderbird (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over (1:31.1.2+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
The program 'thunderbird' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird
mike@mike-305U1A:~$ which thunderbird
mike@mike-305U1A:~$ 

Ok, I will re-paste the output regarding the install–reinstall.

However, something interesting came up today: I ran system updates this morning, and there was a pop-up on the update manager referring to the mozilla-build of thunderbird. I clicked ok to verify and then the updates ran and completed.

Afterwards, I attempted to launch thunderbird and mozilla-build of thunderbird from the start-up menu, and they didn’t give me the executable error (as on previouos attempts), and it looked like they were attempting to open on the launcher bar but failed.

Then I ran thunderbird from Konsole and I got this output:

(process:4841): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
mike@mike-305U1A:~$ 

Any figure on that output?

Thanks for your patience on this issue!

hmm, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=672671

do you think I should run the install–reinstall on thunderbird again?

Personally, I would remove all Firefox and Thunderbird installs. next remove the Mozilla repository entry, then re-install the Firefox and Thunderbird packages that came from Netrunner.