UEFI problems 2014.09.01

Hi together,

First of all, Thank you for opening up a RR branch of Netrunner! I’m coming from Manjaro 0.8.11 KDE and I would really like to try Netrunner on my private desktop. But I have problems setting up a working UEFI installation.

Graphical Installation:
sda:
sda1 fat32 512MB /boot/efi
sda2 ext4 160GB /home
sda3 swap 4GB swap

sdc:
sdc1 ext4 10GB /

Using these settings (I thought the installer is similar to the current Manjaro wiz) the /boot/efi won’t be initialized (0% disk usage) and I don’t find a UEFI boot point in my boot menu.

What do I do wrong here?

Thank you,
anneira

The Netrunner Rolling 2014.09.01 ISO was based on Manjaro 0.8.10.
As with all Manjaro Hybrid ISO’s make sure you don’t use Unetbootin to create the USB media or UEFI installs WILL fail, the ISO needs to be burned to the USB the same way a DVD would be burned to a disk, by leaving the original partition layout and format of the ISO file in tact.
Here is the Netrunner Installation Tutorial: http://www.netrunner-os.com/faq/installation/
Also be sure to read the Netrunner Rolling Readme: http://www.netrunner-os.com/readme-1408/

Hi AJSlye,

Thank you for the quick answer. I created the USB drive using the SUSE Imagewriter. Worked perfectly.
The boot menu does not display the UEFI option for me (as shown in the installation guide), I choose the non-uefi option there.

While booting into the live-mode I see 2 “Failed” points. Is this intended?

Could you list what has failed?

systemctl --failed

“systemd-modules-load.service” failed.
And countless warnings/errors of “radeon leakage”.

OK, now the output of:

systemctl status systemd-modules.service

[hr]
But could you do me a favor first?
I need you to perform the required bash update and then upgrade the rest of the system to a current state:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S bash pacman manjaro-system
sudo pacman -Su

Hi Slye,

Thank you for your help. I did those steps (mentioned in the readme) before trying this. The problem at hand is that I can’t create a clean boot entry (UEFI). Manjaro is able to boot from UEFI, later the installer displays that with a checkpoint requiring a /boot/efi partition. I also tryed to create one myself, using chroot and a fresh grub installation on the efi partition, but that didn’t work out.

You said that your not getting a UEFI menu option, if this is the case then your system isn’t UEFI. You would use the same installation procedure as normal (BIOS) install.

I thought those errors we’re on an installed system, I see now it was from the live media.

When you using the live media are you selecting the standard or the non-free boot option?

Hi AJSlye,

Don’t get me wrong. The point of this topic are not the booting errors (these errors occured on live and installed).

Using SUSE ImageWriter I don’t get the boot option “UEFI: Netrunner”. Using exactly the same procedure for arch or manjaro leaves me with a UEFI and a “normal” boot option.

Manjaro didn’t introduce the “UEFI” boot option until the 0.8.11 snapshot ISO’s.
As I pointed out earlier Netrunner Rolling 2014.09.01 was based on Manjaro 0.8.10.
So yes, that boot option not being on the live media would be normal.

Thank you for your quick response.

Sorry, I didn’t get that from your post before. Is there a tool / way to create a LiveMedia of the current Netrunner state (with 0.8.11 under the hood). If not, do you already have a release date for the next LiveMediia?

Netrunner has used a modified version of thus up until now. You could try forcing an update to the latest version of thus from the Manjaro repositories while booted into the live session prior to installation, but I’m not 100% sure that would work as expected.

As I’m not part of the Netrunner development or release teams, I’m not exactly sure if they are planing to have another snapshot ISO based on Manjaro 0.8.12 (KDE SC 4) or if they are waiting for the Manjaro 0.9.0 plasma 5 ISO to be released. Manjaro 0.9.0 will use calamares instead of thus.