Unable to boot when using LVM

So, now I’m wondering if it was actually the kernel issue or if the hook was just put in the wrong place?
Since I’m not using LVM at the moment I’ll have to boot up my test machine later and try it out on a fresh install, but for now It’s off to my day job. :slight_smile:

Damn, that actually worked. And I didn’t even need to change my mkinitcpio.conf, because the lvm2 hook was already inside. It seems that the installed kernel simply wasn’t compiled with the lvm2 hook. Just as a reference my hooks line is

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap plymouth lvm2 resume filesystems fsck"

Thanks so much for your help!

This could just be an installer issue where the mkinitcpio -p linux314 command is failing during the installation to the hard drive if the lvm option is used.

I still don’t believe this was a bug that in the 3.14 kernel itself. Could you try adding back in the 3.14 stock Manjaro Kernel using the mhwd gui in the Manjaro Settings Manager as a test? This can be done without removing your custom kernel, and is one of the nice features of a Manjaro based system, multiple kernel support,

If it is the kernel itself, could you please report this lvm2 problem to the Manjaro forums so that the kernel maintainers know about the issue.

Here is a link to the Technical Issues and Assistance » Kernel & Hardware sub forum:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?board=4.0

My apologies for the wrong terminology, I didn’t actually recompile the kernel at any time, just rebuilt the initramfs using mkinitcpio. But yes, it seems possible the installer failed to run mkinitcpio correctly during the installation to the hard drive, though I didn’t see any issues present in the log (posted earlier in the thread).

I’m not that familiar with Arch or Manjaro, as I’ve only used Ubunt-based systems before (my daily Linux system is Netrunner Frontier), so I can’t be sure.

Same error on both of my PCs… and then when I tried to use the automatic disk setup without encryption and LVM Thus crashed… so only possible option was custom partitioning.

That does seems strange, there most be something going on with the existing drive setup. I’ve had drives that I couldn’t partition or even access before, the ONLY solution that worked at the time was to wipe the drive first.