[Update] 2014-05-18

Today’s Update is going to require using the terminal.
Please use the following commands for this update-pack.

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S manjaro-keyring
sudo pacman -Suu

Advice: Always remember to reboot after a kernel or major system update.

Reference: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=13455.0;topicseen

Hi AJ.

I’ve learned to read the Manjaro release announcements before updating, and they really do save a lot of headaches. In this case, I tried the above code, and

pacman -S manjaro-keyring

gave me an error (sorry, can’t remember what it said). I scrolled down the release announcment page and someone recommended:

sudo pacman -Syuu

I used this and the update ran smoothly for me.

Yes well, I found the same issue but had to go to church so I didn’t have a chance to update the post, anyway Under NRR we needed to do this in a different way, here is the way I did it:

sudo pacman -Syyuu

Done, the manjaro-keyring is actually updated with everything else.

I would also highly recommend a kernel update to 3.14, it has improved boot times, enhancements to ALL opensource graphics drivers, support for more card readers, and a whole lot more.

To Install (keeping 3.10 as a backup): sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux314

To Upgrade (removing 3.10 from system): sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux314 rmc

Thanks. I did this and restarted. Kinfo still shows 3.10.39-1. Should I do anything else?

if you ran this than both kernels are still installed
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux314
it will automatically load the last kernel used, you will need to choose the 3.14 kernel from the grub menu.

I see. I did look at the Grub menu, but the 3.14 kernel does not appear. I must have done something wrong. Thanks, AJSlye, I’ll try again.

Edit: I ran mhwd-kernel -li and found both kernels are installed.

Perhaps an update-grub will show the newly installed kernel.

mhwd-kernel runs both mkinitcpio and update-grub automatically.

I seem to be sorted out now. No, update Grub never had an effect at all, nor did Grub customizer. What I ended up doing was using boot-repair, which I already had in Lubuntu, just running the recommended repairs. When I restarted, Grub showed the new kernel for the first time. I selected it and now Kinfo has it. So it’s all good for me. I appreciate the help very much.

Oh, I guess you’re running a Dual/Multi-boot system, this actually makes sense why grub had an issue now. Anyway, I’m so glad you were able to sort it out.

Go well, my friend.
AJ

Yes, AJ, Multi-boot. You know, I was always afraid to try Arch, though I did try a couple of times and failed even to install it. But I have a lot of faith in Netrunner and this is turning out to be a great experience for me, even stumbling around as I am. It’s a lovely distro. Go well, you, too.