Linux312 3.12.47
Linux313 3.13.11.25
Linux314 3.14.51
Linux316 3.16.7.16
Linux318 3.18.20
Linux319 3.19.8.5
Linux41 4.1.6
Linux42 4.2-rc8

This update also includes the usual Archlinux upstream fixes as of Sun Aug. 31, 2015.

You can use Octopi or the CLI (command line) to perform this update:

sudo pacman -Syyu

Official Manjaro announcement: https://manjaro.github.io/Update-2015-08-31_(stable)/

Official Manjaro forum thread: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=25705.0

Upgrade switched to terminal with

:: Starting full system upgrade... :: Replace kdebase-dolphin with extra/dolphin? [Y/n] :: Replace kdeedu-marble with extra/marble? [Y/n] :: Replace kdeutils-ark with extra/ark? [Y/n] warning: kmozillahelper: local (0.6.4-2) is newer than blueshell (0.6.4-1) warning: transmission-qt: local (2.84-1) is newer than blueshell (2.82-2) resolving dependencies... looking for conflicting packages... :: baloo-widgets and baloo4-widgets are in conflict. Remove baloo4-widgets? [y/N] y

Said yes to baloo-widgets don’t know why this is still an issue? As remember going through this awhile back.

As end of update getting this

(1/4) removing kdeutils-ark                                    [####################################] 100%
(2/4) removing kdeedu-marble                                [####################################] 100%
(3/4) removing kdebase-dolphin                              [####################################] 100%
(4/4) removing baloo4-widgets                                [####################################] 100%

Now Dolphin will not load. So re-install kdebase-dolphin?
As not listed when searched for in Octopi “kde base”.
And another confusing for me is one listed in results but not installed called “kdebase-plasma”

So how to get Dolphin running as shows dolphinpart4,dolphin-plugins and dolphin version 15.08.0-2 installed already.
As launches from the terminal with

[orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ dolphin Index 25 is not within range (0 - 13 Overwriting existing old cached entry due to collision. Overwriting existing old cached entry due to collision. Overwriting existing old cached entry due to collision. org.kde.dolphin: Saving view-properties to "/home/orbmiser/.local/share/dolphin/view_properties/global" Overwriting existing old cached entry due to collision. Overwriting existing old cached entry due to collision. Overwriting existing old cached entry due to collision.

And my panel went thru some changes Date/Time use to be stacked on top of each other for saving space now side by side and requires doubling the panel width to achieve that. Which doesn’t work for me. Need slim panel. Trying to adjust font with Breeze dark theme on digital clock settings and Text and drop down box are both white and have to highlight font to see it’s name.

Also it added online and removable devices in the system tray when I specifically had those hidden.
No biggie as can re-hide them. But something somewhere change my font settings for system? overwriting what I had set?

kdebase-dolphin is the KDE SC 4 version and no longer in the repository or part of KDE Applications 15.08, you must be re-installing it from your local cash. For the KF5 version you need to install the dolphin package, If you wish to still use the old kdelibs4 version of dolphin you can install dolphinpart4 and load it with the dolphin4 command.

Also you’ll need to copy the dolphinrc file from under ~/.kde4/share/config to ~/.config to cary over your settings. And yes some of the plugins have not been ported yet or included directly into dolphin, these are mostly the video preview plugins.

Anytime Plasma has a major update as this one is there are always some configuring that needs to be done or re-done, this is actually normal.

Running Dolphin from Terminal then go to home folder and right-click a file and get.

QThread: Destroyed while thread is still running
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

“For the KF5 version you need to install the dolphin package”

“If you wish to still use the old kdelibs4 version of dolphin you can install dolphinpart4”

Doesn’t Octopi show that those are installed already?

And no go on using the cache as used the cache-cleaner. So Screwed myself I guess?

Delete the ~/.cache directory and try again.

What cache? you mean var/cache/pacman/pkg?
or /home cache? Which has all my programs settings?

Sorry being so dense. But just can’t get a grasp on too many files to many places to understand thoroughly.

The /home/~/.cache only holds cached files for that session.

Your applications settings are actually under /home/.config, /home/.local, and /home/.kde4/share/.

So this confusion has me down even tho most is my part of not absorbing and learning under the hood mechanics. But don’t have the time or desire trying to remember these intricacies. As would just end up forgetting them due to my memory issues on my old 60 year old neural pack anyways. Yep retention is that bad for new complex structures.

But willing to go back to KDE 4 full time or a smoother ride with a complete reinstall from scratch of which Plasma 5 iso?
As all these transitions and tweaking is impacting actual production use. And want a KDE desktop that is fresh but stable with minimal interaction of fixing on my end.

Suggestions? Recommends? As the KDE 4 09/2014 is too Old? Or I could roll back to Netrunner Plasma July 5? But think I would end up being in the same boat after upgrading? Maybe God Forbid! I need to go to Kubuntu? or Fedora? or ubuntu based Manjaro Plasma 5?

As the problem was me migrating from KDE 4 to 5 of your excellent migration thread became more problematic as more updates rolled in? Is the Netrunner Plasma 5.pre5 the way to go with clean install? Or still problematic? Or soon the official 2015.09 release in next couple of weeks?

Thanks for all your insights,help and unwavering effort to help me.

I’m still having a few issues with some of our diversions after the update to plasma 5.4, but for the most part the new ISO should be out soon.

I’m having this problem with Dolphin too. Oddly, it works for days and even opened up when I logged on today. Suddenly, it just wouldn’t open. It does open with errors with the command line. The key one being:

Index 25 is not within range (0 - 13
We got some errors while running testparm “Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf\nWARNING: Ignoring invalid value ‘share’ for parameter ‘security’\nError loading services.\n”

Everything seems to be working fine once I’m in there. I’m not connecting up to any Windows servers.

Yes, this is a normal error for samba, share is a depreciated value for the security setting.
If your not using samba then uninstall samba and/or smbclient, otherwise change that line in your smb.conf file to security = user.

I removed samba, but removing smbclient wants to remove 141 other programs - many of which I still want. I changed security to “user” in smb.conf, but it didn’t make any difference. I still have to start dolphin from command line.

Clyde, are you running on KDE SC 4 or Plasma 5?

Check your menu entry for dolphin it should be dolphin %u.

I’m running Plasma 5 and pacman thinks I’m up-to-date.

However, your second tip was the key. I checked the icon in the App Launcher and it was a different icon - the new one. I was launching Dolphin from a panel icon that was the old icon. Since the new icon in the App Launcher starts Dolphin just fine, I got rid of the old icon in the panel and put the new one there.

Everything is working fine now. I wonder why the old icon worked so long though and then suddenly stopped working.

Thanks,
Clyde

This is because dolphin wasn’t updated to the KF5 version until this update-pack (KDE Applications 15.08), and the old kdebase-dolphin package is now renamed to dolphin4.

It seemed to work for a few days after the upgrade though. Still that makes sense. I’ve uninstalled dolphin4.

Thanks for your help. This is a great forum.

Clyde