UTF-8 Character encoding problem

Hey guys,

Here is my problem. I have installed the rolling 2015.11 and set up locale to use UTF-8

locale -a gives the following results

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
POSIX
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8

However I can’t open the files having non-english characters in the file name. I also dual boot to linux mint and I can open exactly the same files without any problem.

Any ideas to solve the problem?

Thanks

This could just be a text editor issue, what application/s are you using that can’t open the files?
You might also just need to regenerate your locales.

sudo locale-gen

ref: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale

BTW, I only get this with locale -a on my 2015.09 installed machine:

C
en_US.utf8
POSIX

And this on the another two installed with 2015.11:

C
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
POSIX

I’m however not getting this on any of them:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory

Ok I have solved the mistery finally. There is something really wrong with the systems “locale” handling.

I live in Turkey and I like use my systems in english but to be compatible I use Turkish formats. So the display language is English. I set like this during the installation. And I had this problem.

If I set the locale to English in User account details and format to Turkey/Turkish then I can’t open any file with the turkish characters. But when I change the format to en_US then I can open up the files with turkish filenames. I have never experienced something like this with any other OS.

And another strange thing is that: Although everything set to en_US I have a half english half turkish display now.

So thanks for the reply.