Vlc not launching [Solved]

Yep after the update double-clicking file doesn’t launch
Manually launching Vlc doesn’t work shows launch spinner on panel then nada.

Weird as never asked or installed mpv Media player but now in my menu.
As never remember seeing it there before. But it runs fine.

There must be an error message when you execute vlc from the terminal.

Hmm, It’s launching just fine from the menu on all of my machines.
It should also only require a single click, did you add a launcher to the desktop?
If so, It could just be a change in the command used to launch vlc that didn’t get updated in your that launcher.
What error do you get launching vlc from the terminal?

[orbmiser@Winterfell ~]$ vlc
VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
[00000000008ba148] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use ‘cvlc’ to use vlc without interface.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Yep don’t know. As usually launches with double-clicking on video file is normal way I use.
Just is that I haven’t changed anything. Before update worked after update doesn’t.

Tried launching from multimedia menu and nada spinning on task bar then disappears

Just checked in Octopi sync databases and get 4 outdated?

Confused as isn’t that what regular updates are suppose to do? sync?

Seems like the VLC Qt interface crashes. I wonder if the skins2 interface starts.
Can you try executing vlc --intf skins2?

Here is what i’m getting and the window is opening:

$ vlc VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80) [00000000020a0148] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

Have you tried removing and re-installing VLC?

But first make sure your updates were successful, there seems to be a lot of manjaro’s mirrors taking a long time to get synced with the main mirror (out-of-date) ATM:
http://repo.manjaro.org/

To be sure use the extra y like this sudo pacman -Syyu

Note: Never use yaourt to perform normal updates, doing this can cause severe issues.

Thanks uninstalling and re-installing worked. Have to remember that as a first solutions step.
Don’t know why or how it messed up. As wasn’t anything I done. As just use it to play back video clips.

Updating the 4 outdated packages resulted in losing auto-logon and changing my SDDM logon screen once again.
No biggie but annoying never the less. And didn’t show up outdated in last updates for those packages.
So kind of confused what & when’s of packages updates.

Thanks again for the help and marked Solved.

The updates are typically once every two to three weeks in general. However, security and major bug fixes can get pushed without notification. Manjaro has been doing it this way for a while now. As far as the sddm issue, upstream changed the way the sddm.conf file is installed and handled, this required us to modify some of our packages to compensate.

Thanks for the explanation AJ