akregator: held packages, unmet dependencies.

Hello :slight_smile: Attempted to install akregator, and met error messages in synaptic, and apt-get in the terminal. Here is the terminal readout…

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
akregator : Depends: libkf5libkdepim5 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libkf5messageviewer5 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libkf5pimcommon5 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The packages in question appear to be
libkf5libkdepim5
libkf5messageviewer5
libkf5pimcommon5

Synaptic is unable to fix broken packages, and I can’t install anything actually because of the held or broken packages. I attempted to install those files but kept getting the error messages and couldn’t install. Would appreciate the best way to proceed, Thank you.

Hi
I’m currently investigating this issue, as a work around you can install akregator as follows :

sudo apt-get install akregator libkf5akonadimime5=4:16.04.3-0neon+8+build18 kdepimlibs-data=4:16.04.3-0neon+8+build18

NOTE: This will remove software-properties-kde, but will let you use akregator :slight_smile:

Hi
Since I still haven’t managed to solve this, I’d thought I’d share some information on my findings.

At the moment akregator is built from the kdepim source that’s released with KDE Apps 16.08. This kdepim source requires QtWebengine to be available in order to build.

Unfortunately for us, QtWebengine fails to build on 32 bit systems ( in our case, armhf builds are 32 bits ). This is because of the memory limits imposed by 32 bit systems where they can only address 4 GB of RAM per process, and QtWebengine’s linking process exceeds this memory constraint causing it to fail to build on 32 bit ARM systems.

In order to solve this, I need to work on a larger work item that will allow me to cross compile armhf packages on amd64 machines ( which will not have this constraint ). Once work on this is finished, I can build QtWebengine and kdepim, allowing you to be able to install akregator on your system.

Thank you for the update, Never reakized it was such a chore. Appreciate the status report.