Audio file associations - changing

By default mp3 files are opened in Enqueue in Qmmp, which does not actually play the file. I would prefer VLC. But my attempts to change the file association in System Settings has no effect, neither does changing it via the right click menu. I have tried using kcmshell4 filetypes as suggested in the help file, but this doesn’t work either. I have tried it as root as well - no good.
But I have been able to change the default video player for flv from avidemux, which I had installed, to VLC.

You could remove all file associations in your .local/share/applications folder if you delete the mimeinfo.list and mimeinfo.cache file. However that would mean you have to set everything anew.
You could try to edit those files instead and set the correct player to open by default.
Also make sure that the player (in the mime properties) is set to be the first in the list.

I found mimeapps.list there, and edited it. This has fixed the problem. Though the problem should not need fixing. Anyway, thanks. No sign of a mimeinfo.cache there, but there is one in /usr/share/applications/. I’ll leave it there and see what happens when I log in again tomorrow.

Editing the .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list was sufficient. Thanks.