Automounting Partitions

I’m just wondering if there’s a nice GUI way automount other partitions on my drive. Here are my partitions. Specifically, I want sda3 to automount.

raccoon@AncientClockwerk:~$ sudo blkid /dev/sda1: UUID="93642f45-9357-45ba-8612-b8a9797f2da9" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0005030e-01" /dev/sda3: UUID="a2f1f395-01fd-4609-ba9a-a2a1498bc479" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0005030e-03" /dev/sda5: UUID="c6457a7a-7bec-4c64-991e-7fb8451e615e" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="0005030e-05" /dev/sda6: UUID="eaacbf2b-37ba-4d6d-a393-c12299f5e3df" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0005030e-06

I tried editing /etc/fstab by hand twice but afterwards KDE would only load up to a black screen and mouse curser. Normally I would attribute that to a driver problem, but it happening twice on two separate reinstalls immediately after editing fstab seems like too much of a coincidence. :s But if there’s no GUI tool, maybe somebody could please show me what the fstab entry should look like. On those attempts, I did sudo mkdir /mnt/data to create a mount point for the partition and made sure the owner was “raccoon.”

Oh here’s my video information in case it was coincidence twice:

raccoon@AncientClockwerk:~$ sudo lshw -c display *-display description: VGA compatible controller product: C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] vendor: NVIDIA Corporation physical id: d bus info: pci@0000:00:0d.0 version: a2 width: 64 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0 resources: irq:21 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:fa000000-faffffff memory:febc0000-febdffff This videocard uses the legacy 304.125 driver but seemed to work fine until I attempted this.

Can you post the contents of your edited /etc/fstab.
The desktop not loading after enabling the automount is indeed very strange.
If this partition is mounted correctly and not somewhere in /home ikt should not make any problem.

I no longer have it, since I reinstalled Netrunner :frowning: But the added line is the same as my Mint fstab:

## Manually added by raccoon - mount partition /dev/sda3 at /mnt/data
UUID=a2f1f395-01fd-4609-ba9a-a2a1498bc479  /mnt/data  ext4  defaults  0  0 [/code]

This might help, but I'm not sure:

[code]raccoon@AncientClockwerk:~$ sudo mountall
[sudo] password for raccoon: 
mountall: Could not connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

Partitions do mount when I navigate to them in Dolphin, though.

I tried an experiment. I installed XFCE as a backup DE and created a second user named “squirrel.” So now I had two users “raccoon” (original) and “squirrel.” I edited fstab to add this line:

## Manually added by raccoon - mount partition /dev/sda3 at /mnt/data UUID=a2f1f395-01fd-4609-ba9a-a2a1498bc479 /mnt/data ext4 defaults 0 0 On reboot, I was unable to get to a plasma desktop on either of the users. But I could access xfce and removed the edit. I still couldn’t get to kde desktop on either users. So I reinstalled netrunner-desktop and netrunner-system. Now I can access the plasma desktop under “squirrel”, but not “raccoon.” That’s not a big loss since I didn’t do much customization yet anyway. It still doesn’t explain why editing fstab should cause plasma to not load.

Success. Under the new username can get into the plasma desktop and df -aTh confirms the partition is indeed mounted. But “raccoon” still can’t get to the plasma desktop with the partition automounted (even after deleting .cache and .kde) and that will have to remain a mystery.

Yeah that’s really a mystery to me too.
Maybe something from this home is linking to /mnt/data?

It turns out I reported success too soon and wound up deleting those users and making a fresh one. “squirrel” locked up and I couldn’t log in to KDE anymore.

I did make symlinks to various folders in /mnt/data for “raccoon” but not for “squirrel.”