baloo not index

baloo not indexed. I enable the indexing from the preferences. but not indexed. performed the search.
Netrunner 14 32 bits

You need to add the directories that you want indexed under system settings > desktop search.

[color=#000080][i]You’re right … just try and not work, do not think it problem but Netrunner KDE (Google translate)

Tiene razón… acabo de probar y no funciona, no creo que sea problema de Netrunner sino de KDE[/i][/color]

Seems to be working under Netrunner Rolling.

[attachment=345]

Here, the default setting was to index my home folder. I needed to log out and back in before searching returned results.

[color=#000080][i]They are right, you have to log back in for the changes to take.
If and works perfect.

Thanks AjSlye for the picture[/i][/color]

Hi, thanks for the answer. And sorry for the delay. I returned to where I baloo Kubuntu if indexes.
But I reinstalled Netrruner to report this bug. I have an external hard disk with NTFS.
Now I have Netrunner 14 (64 bits). The same fault. After activating the indexing and add the folders, when I do busqudas the result is empty, nothing.
Any idea?

System Settings > desktop search > Enable Desktop Search

Only add directories that you don’t want Indexed.

[attachment=396]

Removable media not supported at this time, it is on the task list to be implemented:
https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Tasks

It doesn’t seem to support image metadata either but I find this comment rather interesting:

“KFileMetaData - Support for writeback. We currently have plugins which extract metadata from files.”

I find that to be a bit ambiguous because I’m not sure whether it means that these plugins are available now or that they will be available in the future.

I just took a look at the KFileMetaData 4.14 file list and meta data support seems to be there.
Here is the Package Contents:

usr/
usr/include/
usr/include/kfilemetadata/
usr/include/kfilemetadata/extractionresult.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/extractorplugin.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/extractorpluginmanager.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/kfilemetadata_export.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/properties.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/propertyinfo.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/typeinfo.h
usr/include/kfilemetadata/types.h
usr/lib/
usr/lib/cmake/
usr/lib/cmake/KFileMetaData/
usr/lib/cmake/KFileMetaData/KFileMetaDataConfig.cmake
usr/lib/cmake/KFileMetaData/KFileMetaDataTargetsWithPrefix-release.cmake
usr/lib/cmake/KFileMetaData/KFileMetaDataTargetsWithPrefix.cmake
usr/lib/kde4/
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_epubextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_exiv2extractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_ffmpegextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_mobiextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_odfextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_office2007extractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_officeextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_plaintextextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_popplerextractor.so
usr/lib/kde4/kfilemetadata_taglibextractor.so
usr/lib/libkfilemetadata.so
usr/lib/libkfilemetadata.so.4
usr/lib/libkfilemetadata.so.4.14.0
usr/share/
usr/share/kde4/
usr/share/kde4/services/
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_epubextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_exiv2extractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_ffmpegextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_mobiextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_odfextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_office2007extractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_officeextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_plaintextextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_popplerextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/services/kfilemetadata_taglibextractor.desktop
usr/share/kde4/servicetypes/
usr/share/kde4/servicetypes/kfilemetadataextractor.desktop

Thanks for that and I already have the package installed but I hadn’t realised that all that stuff was there on my HDD. The one that really interests me is the exiv2 extractor and I now have to ask a really dumb question: how do I actually use it?

I’m not sure, I don’t think you can use them directly, since they are located in /usr/share/kde4/services directory I’m pretty sure they are just service files and meant to be used by KDE and/or other software. You could try opening up the .desktop files in a text editor to see what they are for exactly.

I am having baloo running here and in gwenview I am able to view exif Metadata. (Running version 4.14.0 though)
Gwenview by default only shows a few of them so you need to click the more link to open up a window with all information about the particular image including a lot about exif metadata.
I am not quite sure but there might be a bug in previous gwenview versions that it does not show this which was fixed with 4.14.0

I’m running 4.14.0 (Rolling) and I can also view metadata in Gwenview but I was talking about searching metadata. I have 1000’s of JPG’s here, all of which I’ve embedded metadata in the IPTC Keywords and Caption fields. If I do a Desktop Search for any of the embedded keywords/captions, baloo doesn’t find any of the image files. That’s what I meant when I said “It doesn’t seem to support image metadata either”.

Hi, still not working. I have removed the home from indexing. Now done searches, but not indexed. Search by brute force.
Just wanted to report this bug. Using kubuntu 14.04 and indexing works great. No problem of kde or baloo.
If someone can communicate this to the appropriate would be great.
Thanks and regards.

I will continue to look into this, I can’t say what is going on in Netrunner Standard (Kubuntu) that isn’t effecting Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro) but it’s working as it’s supposed to here, so i’ll have to do more digging.

I know this is for Arch but it may be of some use: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Baloo

You might want to look at the baloo configs to see what options are marked as true or false and what has been excluded from search the files you need are:

baloofileinformationrc baloofilerc baloorc
they are stored in this directory: ~/.kde4/share/config/

Actually the directory should be ~/.kde/share/config
As for the problem itself I can’t reproduce it here.

What could be helpful is the output of the command

balooctl status

To see if baloo started indexing something.
If it didn’t it could have various reasons like to low ram or cpu resources (Maybe letting the PC idle helps here) or to low harddrive space which also skips the indexing as far as I know.

My apologies, under Netrunner Rolling (Manjaro/Arch) it’s ~/.kde4/share/config/, there is a ~/.kde/share/config/ directory but it is empty.