Blank screen on boot

I’m not sure of the package names under the Ubuntu base, but you would basically remove nepomuk and nepomuk-widgets and then install baloo and baloo-widgets, I would also look for any thing else that starts with nepomuk or baloo and do the same with them.

No, I don’t have a connection in the console. Why would such old files be installed. I installed fresh from the Netrunner 14 dvd. So, how can I get a network connection in console, please? A direct wired connection isn’t an option right now.
iwlist wlan0 scanning returns Failed to read scan data: Network is down.

Without a wired internet connection I think I have to teach you about using the terminal.
In general:

sudo service network-manager stop

Then for wireless configuration generation you need to execute

wpa_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase> > wlanconfig

Note: the > in front of wlanconfig is essential everything else is just an indicator for parameters. (so might become “my wlan”)

Then to create the connection execute

sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i<wlandevice> -c./wlanconfig

must be replaced with your devicename.
My device is called wlan0 for example. You can show a list of network devices with
ifconfig

After connection was established you can go to alt+f3 login again and execute

sudo dhclient <wlandevice>

Then finally you should be connected and can run the upgrade.

Hope that is helpful to you.

Thanks! But we use wep and not wpa because we have some things that won’t work with wpa. How do I do it for wep?

You can do it the same way for wep aswell(despite the wpa name of the app). Though note using wep is like not using any encryption. Every smartphone near you can read traffic and decode it with wep.
If your hardware does not support wpa I would suggest buying new ones that does.

I know. It’s a gaming console of my son’s and maybe his handheld, too. They won’t work with wpa. The router supports wpa but he won’t be able to use his stuff if I use that.

After
sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i -c./wlanconfig

I got

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
[ 634.835834] brcmsmac bcma:0: brcms_ops_bss_info_changed: qos enabled: false (implement)
[ 634.835951] brcmsmac bcma:0: brcms_ops_config: change power-save mode: false (implement)
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I still haven’t gotten this to work. :-/

Did you try to get the ip address on a second console with dhclient like I described it?

If you mean this part-

[quote]
sudo dhclient [/quote]

then yes and it just sits there after I do it. I don’t get a cursor back to type anthing else or any kind of message and opening another console, I still can’t ping anywhere.

Hmm… sounds strange to me.
Seems like it does not want to connect then.
Is ifconfig showing the wlandevice as turned on?

You can try to establish a connection with iwconfig then which only supports wep and unencrypted.

Even if I temporarily turn encryption off, it doesn’t work.
[hr]

ETA: I was able to get the connection with:

so I’ll try the update now and see if that works.

OK, after the apt-get update, the binary-amd64/Packages and the binary-i386/Packages had hash sum mismatches and failed to be fetched. It said it would use old copies. I went ahead and ran the apt-get upgrade, which didn’t really seem to upgrade anything, and it said that kdelibs-bin, libkio5, and libkparts4 all had unmet dependencies involving nepomuk not being installed. Still won’t boot properly.

What about apt-get install -f to fix the dependency issues?

Won’t that install nepomuk? The depends are libnepomuk4 and libnepomukutils4. I thought I didn’t need nepomuk?

Obviously if it wants to install nepomuk, then you have some package conflict that still needs it and might causing you all the trouble.

I did the apt-get install -f and it booted so I did the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and now it says it is 14.1 but a lot of stuff seems to be missing, most notably all the Muon stuff. No updater, no discovery or whatever that package manager was called. I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade again, but still have no Muon.

Can you install it manualy?

sudo apt-get install muon muon-discover muon-updater

I guess it was removed before

Yes, and I did, but something still isn’t right. After installing the muon stuff, I rebooted and got this error:

I hit the OK button and then got a black screen with a cursor that looks like an X.

Hi LNXLady,
just to understand the root cause of the update problems better:
Did you start to first time update && upgrade the day Netrunner 14.1 was released or a few days after/just recently?