Brother Printer [DCP 7055] Installation Problem

Hi!

I can’t use my Canon printer on this OS anymore, until I’ve bought another toner, so I’d like to install my older Brother printer/scanner for Netrunner. Problem is, that the recommended drivers, either automatically recognized or the exact ones manually chosen, won’t work. The test print is on hold and the data is just send to the printer. Nothing happens.

I have downloaded the .rpm, from here , but the commands in the Terminal/Yakuake won’t work either.

What am i doing wrong? Am I on the wrong track with the .rpm files?
If anybody has a solution, I’d be very thankful.

Sincerely,
your linuxnoob

The drivers you need for that printer/scanner are available through the AUR (Arch User Repository).

For the printer driver:
yaourt -S brother-dcp7055

For the scanner driver:
yaourt -S brscan4

Optionally, you can search for and install these packages via octopi by selecting the group.

Ah, i didn’t know that AJ. Thx for clearing that up!

When i confirm with “y”, how do i proceed correctly after that with an editor? I’m looking that up, but can’t find anything helpful.

[quote]brother-dcp7055 2.0.4-2 (Mon Apr 7 21:36:23 CEST 2014)
( Unsupported package: Potentially dangerous ! )
==> Edit PKGBUILD ? [Y/n] (“A” to abort)
==> ------------------------------------
==> y

Please add $EDITOR to your environment variables
for example:
export EDITOR=“vim” (in ~/.bashrc)
(replace vim with your favorite editor)

==> Edit PKGBUILD with: [/quote]

Usually you do not need to edit anything in PKGBUILD or install files, it’s for cases when you need more control over install process. Say No to edit questions, but if it asks “continue building” or “continue installing” answer Y to those.

Oh, I thought it was necessary. And as dumb as it sounds: I just had to skip it with no (two times i think) until the installation showed up. The printer driver is installed and I can at least do that with the old machine after i set it up again. Thanks :]

EDIT: got the scans running too. ;] Works fine.

Again, thank you guys! I really appreciate your help. You rock.

OK, if you ever need to edit the pkgbuild just use nano it’s one of the easiest cl editors, and yes somtimes besides a pkgbuild there can also be an install config file, most cases you’ll answer no to both, it’s very important to read before answering.

I’m glad you got it working. :slight_smile: