Cannot upgrade to new version of Kubuntu 16.04

Cannot upgrade to new version of Kubuntu
Discover shows there is “a new version of Kubutu is available”. Version 16.04 'Xenial Xerus. When I click the upgrade button, it goes through the process, and I get an error message at the end.

“Not enough free disk space. The upgrade has aborted. The upgrade needs a total of 97.8 M free on disk ‘/boot’. Please free at least an additional 17.6 M of disk space on ‘/boot’. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installation using ‘sudo apt-get clean’. I’ve already done that, but it didn’t. Any idea how to complete the upgrade?

Have you also tried autoremove? This has done the trick for me on a couple kernel updates.

sudo apt-get autoremove

Edit -
This was listed under Possibly Related, in case autoremove doesn’t work for you -
http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=23462

Please do not try upgrading as we do not support it.

Ok, fair enough, but every time I start the computer, it tells me a new version is available to upgrade. So how do I make it to ignore it for good?

Thank,
fredhoud

This should be possible in muons/plasma discover settings

I’ve looked and looked, and I can’t find any option in the settings to disable the notification. Any ideas?
By the way Netrunner 18 LTS should be out in a few months, isn’t?

First go to systemsettings -> notification -> other notifications. Make sure upgrade notifications is turned off.
As for plasma discover itself it seems it does not have a setting for notifications (anymore/yet).

At least here I don’t get any upgrade information. Only discover shows me a upgrade notice on top when started. (inside the window) which I can ignore or hide with a press on X.