Clock Advanced

After booting my Windows machine with Netrunner Rolling 2018.01 everything appears to work properly, but my system clock has been advanced by four hours. I am unable to change the clock back within the program because I do not know the admin password.

When I return to Windows my clock is still four hours ahead.

Normally this would not be a problem, as I can simply correct the time within Windows, but there is a Windows program I use almost daily that sees me move the clock back and thinks that I am doing this to extend the registration.

Is there any way I can either not have the clock advanced or find access to the admin password? I know pretty much nothing about Linux and am hoping to learn, so any solution would need to be understood by someone with a close to zero level of knowledge.

Thanks -

george

That would be because your also running windows which sets the system clock (efi/bios) to local time instead of UTC time.
This is a common problem when running Linux and Windows on the same system. To fix this problem use the Manjaro settings managers “Time and Date” control and check the “Hardware clock in local time zone” setting.
[attachment=1118]
Next time Windows changes the hardware system clock again, Linux will read it properly, and not change it from there on out.
The other option would be to have Windows to use UTC time, but since I haven’t run windows since the 1990’s, I can’t help with that one.

When you installed Netrunner Rolling, the installer automatically set the root (admin) password to the same password you entered for your user account. That is unless you clicked the radio box to set a different password for root during installation, but then you probably wouldn’t be asking.

Actually, I have not installed Netrunner, I am running it from DVD.

Where would I go to find Manjaro settings managers?

Thanks -

george

Sorry, in Netrunner Rolling (Plasma 5), it has been integrated right into system settings.
Go to System Settings > System Administration > Time and Date
[attachment=1119]

I was able to find that area and change the time. However, when I went to apply the time I got the message “Network time synchronization shall be enabled” and it asked me for the administrator password. I do not know the password so I was unable to actually make the change.

george

On the live media it is netrunner. However, you don’t need to set the “Set time and date automatically” selection. You only need the “Hardware clock in local time zone” selection on. The prior activates pulling the time and date from an online server (pool.ntp.org, etc.), according to the timezone you have selected during boot, this setting is useless in a live media type environment.

Note: The default user name and password, as well as the root users password, is displayed in all empty tty’s on the live media.
CTRL+ALT+F2 - F6

When I try to change to the hardware clock it tells me “the RTC stores the local or UTC time” and then requires a password. When I did Alt-Ctrl-F2 it took me to a command line and wanted me to log in. I don’t know what an empty tty is.

george

TTY is the terminal shell, Linux is a muti-user OS, it has 6 TTY’s that are command line shells out of the box. The GUI (xorg) and the desktop environment (Plasma 5) are currently occupying TTY1 (F1) this leaves F2 through F6 available for use.

I also gave you the password already.
On the live image the password is netrunner.