Desktop vs. Core question.

I thought that I understood the intention behind Netrunner-Core. Basically, I assumed that Netrunner-Core would appeal to people who would rather install the applications that they want instead of having to uninstall all of the applications that they don’t want. Also, Netrunner-Core would be great to use as a server because you don’t need all of those applications installed, but you would still have the user-friendliness of having a desktop interface.

According to Netrunner-Core’s page on your website, it is based on the same Debian snapshots as Netrunner-Desktop, but the Downloads page says otherwise. it reads as follows:

Netrunner-Core - [color=#4d4d4d][font=Arial]Version[/font][/color][color=#666666][font=Arial] Debian Snapshot 2016.12.11 · Plasma 5.8.2[/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=Arial]Netrunner-Desktop - [color=#4d4d4d][font=Arial]Version[/font][/color][color=#666666][font=Arial] Debian Snapshot 2017.05.30 · Plasma 5.10[/font][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=Arial][color=#666666][font=Arial]So, according to the downloads page, Netrunner-Core uses a different Debian Snapshot and a different Plasma version.[/font][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=Arial][color=#666666][font=Arial]I am not trying to be critical, I am just curious about the reasoning behind this. Is Netrunner-Core using an older Debian Snapshot and Plasma version for stability reasons?[/font][/color][/font][/color]

The Netrunner Core image just was not updated. Though if you install it and use apt to update the system via backports you should have the same Plasma version as Netrunner Desktop.

Ok. Thank yau.

sorry to jump in: I don’t. Enabled rolling on netrunner core, debian is coming in, but Plasma is at 5.9.3, which is better than 5.8.2 but not quite 5.10 :slight_smile:

ok, figured it out. It’s more of a dirty hack but seems to work. If you (like me) were stuck with Plasma 5.9.3 on Netrunner core you need to upgrade manually your repositories.

The easiest way is to:

1. download the netrunner 17.06 iso, write it to usb and boot it up
  2. copy the enitre /etc/apt directory from 17.06 to e.g. an usb stick
  3. reboot to your Netrunner Core install (but don’t log in to Plasma *just to be sure)
  4. move the /etc/apt to something like /etc/apt.bak if something goes wrong :slight_smile:
  5. copy the apt directory from 17.06 to /etc/apt
  6. sudo apt-get update
  7. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  8. wait untill done then reboot
  9. enable testing repository in synaptic again :slight_smile:

hope it helps

Hey
I’m working on making sure people using Netrunner Core 17.01 can also update without hassles right now :slight_smile:

Thanks for your suggestions