Dual Monitor Setup Issues

Hello to all, as this is my first post in this forum. I am completely new to Linux and I decided to try the Netrunner distro. I’m having trouble getting my second monitor to work correctly. When I plug in the coord to my HDMI port, both screens, my laptop and Dell monitor, go messy and become unresponsive. I’ve looked at similar posts to try to resolve the issue, but with no luck. So, I have to continually force reboot my laptop, which wrecks my nerves. I’ve tried
sudo apt-get install arandr
Then went to system settings>randr> and tried to configure it, but nothing came to it.
Someone suggested I write my own xorg.conf config, but before I do that, I want to see if other options are available.
I’m using an HP Envy M-6 K010DX laptop, with an AMD A10-5745M APU AProccessor with AMD Radeon HD 8610G graphic card.
I’m not even sure how to configure this thing, because I can’t plug it in without my screen becoming unresponsive and scratch.
Hope someone can assist me, thanks.

I would recommend installing the fglrx drivers for your graphicscard . You can do so by opening up the hardware driver manager. After it is installed and you rebooted you can execute the catalyst control center to configure dual screen setup.

Thank you, I’ll try that method this weekend. If it does not work, I will also try the method from this link http://blog.linuxacademy.com/linux/ubuntu-and-multiple-monitors-amd-edition/ and post my results.