Easiest and best backup utility

Hi guys

Does anyone know of a simple backup program that will run at startup and automatically backup to an 2nd hard drive at a predetermined time (every week, month, etc)?

I have tried deja-dup in the past but don’t know if there is maybe a better one.

Any suggestions?

You have a couple of options:

Deja Dup

sudo pacman -S deja-dup

Mint Backup:

yauort -S mintbackup

However, almost all available backup utilities for Linux (CLI & GUI) are either available in the official repositories, or from the AUR.

will it run on startup and keep running in the background?

I’ve used it on linux mint but that was a long time ago, before I moved to Netrunner

I apologize, I accidentally hit post before I was finished. Please read my previous post again.

Here is a good place to start looking:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backup_programs

However, keep in mind that Netrunner Rolling is based on Manjaro not Arch and as such our repositories are not the same. some applications available in the arch repositories may not be in the Manjaro repositories and vice versa, however, they are available from the AUR in most cases.

ah, no problem. Thanks. I just want one I can ‘set and forget’. Mintbackup does that doesn’t it?

I do believe so, but I’m not sure as I’ve never used it, but If it does let me know.

I have used deja dup before, but only for a quick re-install of a customers machine without loosing their users data. Personally, I just use rsync via a start up script on my machine, but then again I’m over 40 and been doing it this way for a long time.

You can also try backintime and luckybackup (both in the AUR). They are very customizable and you can control exactly when dou you want to run them. I found them very convenient to use, I guess you should try both to choose the best one for you.
Good luck.
askorbeta

I just noticed the link to the Arch Linux backup programs Wiki page I had intended to provide in one of my previous posts was missing, I just fixed it for you to look at.

You could just scroll back up or http://forums.netrunner-os.com/showthread.php?tid=16487&pid=23087#pid23087 :slight_smile:

Its my personal experience with this software for creating backup i.e. CloudBacko Pro Software. This Service is very good, reliable, easy to use. Most important CloudBacko provides me full security and protection to my data. Have a try to this software.

I don’t mean to sound negative but what’s the catch? This company is just giving you 100TB cloud storage for free?

For free = direct data connection to NSA Backup Storage center.
Cloud Space for Backup isn’t the right way for personal data in my opinion. Saving personal stuff up in a cloud where you don’t know really were your data is saved is always a bad idea.

Totally agree!

Because I ocasionally delete my home dir from time to time, this is an interesting topic :stuck_out_tongue:
LuckyBackup looks like a nice one. There is a cronIT function in the scheduler so it can run at start of a reboot in the background. (after add or remove a schedule you need to cronIT, to update schedule)

One big mistake I made on my last backup, permissions got screwed up, after forgetting creating an ext4 partition on my new 1TB NTFS ext hdd…

Thats one reason I recommend backintime as it also stores permissions in a seperate file when creating a backup on an FAT32 or NTFS Partition

Nice piece of software, looks like it has it all for kde. Will test it out on my NTFS hdd.

ps: needed to compile the package (including backintime-1.0.40-3-any.pkg.tar.xz and backintime-kde4-1.0.40-3-any.pkg.tar.xz) manually as mentioned in AUR (en) - backintime, also needed to skip the key signature in the tarball (remove “https://launchpadlibrarian.net/188941954/backintime-1.0.40.tar.gz.asc” and ‘SKIP’) to get it working.

edit: having an issue, can’t add profiles, save changes, looks like after first setup I’m able to