Failed to Load Kernel Module

Dear Admin,
I have got error message “Failed to load Kernel module”. After this error messages It stops the booting process(not going to display login screen). It boots and goes to login screen after, I press the Reset(
Rebooting) button in the Computer(PC). Please help me to solve this problem. Thanks in Advance.

What is your video card?
Are you using the free or non-free drivers?
Did you install virtualbox?

Can you post the output of:

journalctl -b

and

systemctl status systemd-modules.service

Sir,
Please find the details in the attachment. Thanks.

The “Failed to load kernel module” can be ignored. As far as I see it its just a message coming from a virtualbox guest module it normally loads on the live system.

Opps, I asked you to give me the status of a systemd unit that doesn’t exist, I do apologize.

Here is the correct command:

systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service

Could you also list what files are in these directories:
/etc/modules-load.d/
/run/modules-load.d/
/usr/lib/modules-load.d

I need you to clarify something for me first, if you don’t mind.
Are you having this issue booting from the live media or from an installed system?

No Sir,
It is not live. I have installed Netrunner Rolling in my PC before 1 week.
gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2014-11-27 23:36:02 IST; 3min 50s ago
Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
man:modules-load.d(5)
Process: 129 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 129 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$

OK, looking at that output I will need to know the contents of the /usr/lib/modules-load.d directory.

Ok sir, What command I have to give in konsole to know it(Directory Details or Output). Please show me one example.

OK, you would type:

ls /usr/lib/modules-load.d

or

dir /usr/lib/modules-load.d

[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ ls /usr/lib/modules-load.d
nfs-utils.conf thermald.conf
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ dir /usr/lib/modules-load.d
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$
[hr]
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ ls /etc/modules-load.d/
mhwd-gpu.conf modules.conf
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ ls /run/modules-load.d/
ls: cannot access /run/modules-load.d/: No such file or directory
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ ls /usr/lib/modules-load.d
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$ dir /usr/lib/modules-load.d
[gurunanak@Mangal ~]$

Well that tells me that this is definitely not a virtualbox issue.
Did this begin to occur after you ran an update on your system?

If yes, then this may have been what messed up your boot proccess.

Because of the bash shell security fixes and other major updates since the 2014.09.1 ISO was released, the best way to make sure you have a successful update is to use these commands from the terminal:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/pacman/local/bash-4.3.024-1
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S bash pacman manjaro-system
sudo pacman Su

Ok Sir,
I try these commands and let you know.

Sir,
I have updated using the commands given by you and the messages displayed in the konsole are copied in a document file. kindly see the attachment. I check if the same problem exists or not and reply you. Thanks.
[hr]

I am having the exact issue of the OP.
I followed the terminal commands from the read me file on the desktop of netrunner.
So are you saying that read me page is incorrect?

The terminal commands in the Readme are basically doing the same. Besides upgrading pacman and manjaro-system.

@muthu
If you get errors about files already existing in the file system, then you will need to run the third command like this:

sudo pacman -S --force bash pacman manjaro-system

Also to ensure good download speeds rankmirrors will rearange the server list fastest to slowest, here is the command for that:

sudo pacman-mirrors -g

@dawntheisen
No, that’s not what I was saying at all, but as time goes on and more updates are released some modification to the commands from the readme may be required, this is normal for a rolling release. :slight_smile:

I was just trying to ensure that muthu didn’t run into any issues updating his system to a current state. The extra y in the second command tells pacman to refresh it’s database even if it appears to be up to date, then I added pacman and manjaro-system to the third line so that muthu didn’t have to run pacman -Su twice.

Sometimes I would rather just give out the commands needed than to point someone at a readme file, or Wiki page that may or may not be helpful to them. :slight_smile:

This error message “Failed to load Kernel module” can be caused by many different things, can you also post a list of the files in these directories on your machine:
/etc/modules-load.d/
/run/modules-load.d/
/usr/lib/modules-load.d

Sir,
i have run all the commands given by you. Thanks for the fast mirrors commands. I have not had the ‘loading kernel failed’ issue as of now. Thanks for your timely help.

Glad I was able to help.
If you wouldn’t mind, could you please add (Solved) to the beginning of you thread title?