Few Questions from a new user

Just got Netrunner Rolling installed… Getting it installed is quite the story (I seriously almost gave up after 12 hours of trying), but that isn’t the reason I want to post…

so being new to linux and a tinkerer I figured why not try pressing lots of buttons. Somehow I removed the default panel. You know, the really awesome Netrunner one. Yet when I tried adding the panel back I get the not so awesome KDE one. Is there a way to get the default netrunner one back?

I think I may be having some graphics driver weirdness. The screen just seems kind of off, like the refresh rate or colors or something. But more than that I am seeing a lot of bluring (latency?) on animation. For instance, as a test I installed Kerbal Space Program. It seems to work, but going through the menurs seems sluggish from a graphics perspective.

Or scrolling in firefox, there is a definate lag time.

For reference I’m using the non-free nvidia drivers on a GTX 970 (a big part of my install woes…). I removed the nouveau drivers completely.

And lastly, whenever a sound plays it is preceeded by a popping sound from the speakers. Haven’t looked into it yet though.

Thanks for you consideration.

Welcome to the forum.

[quote]
so being new to linux and a tinkerer I figured why not try pressing lots of buttons. Somehow I removed the default panel. You know, the really awesome Netrunner one. Yet when I tried adding the panel back I get the not so awesome KDE one. Is there a way to get the default netrunner one back?[/quote]

In the right click menu you should see an option to add panels.
You could also try to restore the plasma-desktop-appletsrc from /etc/skel/.kde4/share/config to your home directory .kde4/share/config
(folders with a dot in front are hidden ones so unhide them or use the adressbar to access them.

[quote]
I think I may be having some graphics driver weirdness. The screen just seems kind of off, like the refresh rate or colors or something. But more than that I am seeing a lot of bluring (latency?) on animation. For instance, as a test I installed Kerbal Space Program. It seems to work, but going through the menurs seems sluggish from a graphics perspective.

Or scrolling in firefox, there is a definate lag time.[/quote]
Sounds to me like a graphics effect issue. Try tinkering with the desktop effects advanced options like setting the opengl 2.0 renderer or disabling vsync (tearing prevention)

We use all available powersavings by default. This means your soundcard is also using powersaving and turns itself off by default. You can change that behavior and disable it by editing with root rights /etc/default/tlp and changing SOUND_POWER_SAVE=0.
Changes take effect after rebooting

Hope that helps. If you have further questions just ask

Thanks. I’ll try that all out.

Was able to get the bottom panel back to how I wanted. Thanks!

Made the sound card change but didn’t get a chance to reboot and test, so I’ll try that tonight.

As for the graphical issues. I didn’t notice any improvement with changing the desktop effects. I turned off vsync and didn’t really notice a difference. The renderer was already set to Opengl 2.0 Tried setting to 3.1 and couldn’t really tell if anything was different.

Playing around with it more I realized that maybe I’m not really having blurring issues as much as the screen just seems really off. I actually get a headache using it for more than 30-60 minutes so something else seems to be going on.
Refresh rate is setup to 60 so it doesn’t seem like it could be that. Is there a way to adjust screen brightness? I tried using the gamma settings in the system settings panel and it didn’t seem to change anything.
I then tried xbacklight -dec 40 and again no change.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks

PS. Oh and I forgot one more thing. Whenever I boot into Linux and then go back to Windows the time in Windows has change forward 5 hours. Any idea whats up with that?