Few things to improve

Hi,

I recently switched to Netrunner 14 and I have to say I really, really like it. For me it’s the best distro I ever tried (among Debian, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, Opensuse, Archlinux, Elementary OS, Fedora, etc…). And for this I want to thank the developpers.

As good as Netrunner 14 is, I made a small list, but relatively complete, of improvements and issues that I came across :

[b][size=large]Bugs :[/size]

• [confirmed] Installation in French (with internet connection) give a Netrunner installation partly in English (not tested other language or without internet connection)
    [/b]Workaround : Set Netrunner in french in settings after install[b]

• After installation, put Netrunner in French is not possible if kubuntu-backports is enabled. Without kubuntu-backports it seems to works
    [/b]Workaround : Add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa[b]

• Fix app-indicator bug "change (refresh) of the indicator label " (infos)

• Gtk font settings only works with Ubuntu font

• [confirmed] Ark cannot extract password-protected archives if kubuntu-backports is enabled. This bug is supposed to be fixed
    [/b]Workaround : Use file-roller[b]

• [confirmed] Update GRUB to fix bug “malformed file… press any key to continue…” (infos)
    [/b]Workaround : Set GRUB_DEFAULT to 1 in /etc/default/grub[b]

• [confirmed] Fix tearing with Nvidia proprietray drivers. (infos)[/b]
    Workaround : Add at the end of “/etc/profile” : export __GL_YIELD=“USLEEP”
    You can also add in xorg.conf Section “Device” (this can introduce a little lag in games) : Option “TripleBuffer” “1”

[b][size=large]Improvements :[/size]

• This file name /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-backports-raring.list should be kubuntu-ppa-backports-trusty.list

• Add, but disabled by default, trusty-backports

• Add, but disabled by default, ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa

• Update Mintstick in Netrunner repo (repo 1.0.6 / latest 1.2.1 that is for Qiana [= Ubuntu 14.04 = Netrunner 14])
    [/b]Workaround : Install it manually http://packages.linuxmint.com[b]

• Allow use of QtCurve style for Gtk3 applications or at least provide a theme for Gtk3 that match default style
    [/b]Workaround : Use Oxygen theme[b]

• Don’t activate screen dimming when an application is in fullscreen (like a youtube video)
    [/b]Workaround : Use caffeine from this ppa ppa:behda/ppa

I ask nothing as Netrunner is free and is the result of countless developpers working for free.
But if some of theses things can be fixed/improved it will only get better for every user of this great free software.

Thank you !

- Allow use of QtCurve style for Gtk3 applications

QtCurve is a onfigurable set of widget styles for GTK+ 2.x, Qt4, Qt5 and KDE4 only GTK+ 3 isn’t supported… You can use oxygen-gtk or a gtk3 theme that looks similar of what your qtcurve theme.

You can look at kde-look org for a full suite like KNumix Light - Flat Theme , KElementary theme . There is also Numix kde pack in devianart. These packs offer qtcurve-gtk2-gtk3 themes , windows decoarations etc.

- Gtk font settings only works with Ubuntu font

Have you tried changing the fonts in System settings -->Desktop Appearance—>GTK ?

Did you install any other software before trying the installation of the language packs?
I could go into systemsettings and choose to install the french language. After a relogin I have a system in french without adding ppa.

This is a hardware specific problem we hope Nvidia fixes with newer drivers.
We cannot change the global option here as might cause problems on other Nvidia cards.

[quote=“Narya, post:2, topic:2708”]QtCurve is a onfigurable set of widget styles for GTK+ 2.x, Qt4, Qt5 and KDE4 only GTK+ 3 isn’t supported… You can use oxygen-gtk or a gtk3 theme that looks similar of what your qtcurve theme.

You can look at kde-look org for a full suite like KNumix Light - Flat Theme , KElementary theme . There is also Numix kde pack in devianart. These packs offer qtcurve-gtk2-gtk3 themes , windows decoarations etc. [/quote]
I know that and I agree with you but that would be more confortable to have a system with consistant look out of the box.
I read that QtCurve is not compatible with Gtk3 because in early Gtk3 the theming system was not “stable”. But now Gtk3 has matured it will be good if that support will be implemented

Yes, that’s what I mean but it seems to works only with Ubuntu font.
[hr]

[quote=“leszek, post:3, topic:2708”]Did you install any other software before trying the installation of the language packs?
I could go into systemsettings and choose to install the french language. After a relogin I have a system in french without adding ppa.[/quote]
I installed numlockx. I removed theses softs : knotes yakuake clementine qmmp vlc pidgin kde-telepathy karbon krita thunderbird. Then I enabled kubuntu-backports and trusty-backports and I updated the system (dist-upgrade). And after that I can’t switch to French. Maybe a problem with kubuntu-backports ?

This is a hardware specific problem we hope Nvidia fixes with newer drivers.
We cannot change the global option here as might cause problems on other Nvidia cards.
[/quote]
OK I hope Nvidia can fix this in a not so distant futur.

Yes they removed support for gtk3 because the API changed often. I don’t know if they are planning for qtcurve to support gtk3 apps but maybe the new Breeze widget style will . Breeze is also flat .

For the gtk apps to change their fonts it needs a restart of those applications.

[quote=“Narya, post:5, topic:2708”]Yes they removed support for gtk3 because the API changed often. I don’t know if they are planning for qtcurve to support gtk3 apps but maybe the new Breeze widget style will . Breeze is also flat .
[/quote]
I hope, it’s good to have consistency in style.
By the way I tried the lastest neon iso and I have to say KDE5/Plasma Next is incredible ! Fast, stylish, clean, modern, etc…
[hr]

The last time I tried with droid font even after a reboot it doesn’t work.
But I found on the web this trick with Ubuntu font.

[quote](21st October 2014 15:52)leszek Wrote:
For the gtk apps to change their fonts it needs a restart of those applications.
The last time I tried with droid font even after a reboot it doesn’t work.
But I found on the web this trick with Ubuntu font.[/quote]

Maybe your gtk config files have wrong permissions and that is why you can’t change your fonts.

[quote]
(21st October 2014 15:50)Narya Wrote:
Yes they removed support for gtk3 because the API changed often. I don’t know if they are planning for qtcurve to support gtk3 apps but maybe the new Breeze widget style will . Breeze is also flat .
I hope, it’s good to have consistency in style.
By the way I tried the lastest neon iso and I have to say KDE5/Plasma Next is incredible ! Fast, stylish, clean, modern, etc…[/quote]

They have commited a gtk2 and gtk3 theme to ressemble Breeze . If you are interested you can check the visual design subforum :slight_smile:

I don’t know but it’s working with Ubuntu font and it’s OK for me. However it’s not normal.

[quote=“Narya, post:8, topic:2708”]They have commited a gtk2 and gtk3 theme to ressemble Breeze . If you are interested you can check the visual design subforum :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Great !

I do a clean install of Netrunner 14 in French and after install, like anticipated, it was in English. But I couldn’t put it in French without any added ppa because in systemsettings I didn’t have the option to install the French language. I had to install manually some languages packages.
I installed those, is it ok or there is more ?

kde-l10n-fr language-pack-fr language-pack-fr-base firefox-locale-fr

Those packages seem to be alright. The language-pack-fr files are installed by ubiquity if you had internet connection on installation though. The only thing missing should be kde-l10n-fr which is also available in the normal ubuntu repository.

Ok thank you.
Have you an idea on why I coudn’t install French language in systemsettings ?

[quote]I hope you don’t ask me to look into the code because I don’t have this skill Wink
[/quote]
Sorry I am not sure as I was not able to reproduce the problem here. It works here on my testing machines.
Maybe (as it is several months ago we released it) it is necessary to refresh the packagelist before trying installing the language packages from within systemsettings. You can do that in the update manager / synaptic or muon or even with sudo apt-get update in the terminal.

In fact before installing French language I did :

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And no languages are available in systemsettings.

Can you provide a screenshot of the systemsettings language module ?

Yes let me just reinstall Netrunner in VirtualBox because my clean install is finished and I finally added kubuntu backport ppa which fix a few things including this problem.

Ok this is what I get :

On the live CD I can choose the language

On installation I choose French

But one thing I didn’t noticed it’s even with an internet connexion the installer is a mix of French and English

And I don’t understand why but with or without update / dist-upgrade I can choose the language

So to summarize, the installer seems to be buggy on the language selection. And I don’t know why now after the installation I can choose the language whereas yesterday on my clean install I couldn’t…

Yeah the installer comes from Ubuntu and is not optimized to install kde language packages.
But it is good that it is working for you now.

If I do an other install I will check again because it’s weird.
This would be good to make Ubuntu devs fixed the installer bug don’t you think ?

Yeah of course