Hangs forever on shutdown, reboot or log off

Just installed fresh on Asus VivoBook S14 (SSD, nVidia). Everything seems fine except for the system just freezes forever when I try to Shutdown, Reboot or Log off!

The same images works on VMware without a problem.

Also, for the laptop, the system is definitely slower than the Windows 10 I had on it! These are definitely deadly setbacks to switching to NetRunner from Windows :frowning:

Can you elaborate on the issue with the Shutdown, reboot and logout.
Do you see any (error) message when shutting down that could help understanding the issue?

As for the speed. What do you mean exactly? Graphics speed? Opening up apps? Converting or Video editing?
What exactly is slower? As you are using an Nvidia card apparently its speed is a bit limited with the open source driver that we ship. It is stuck in powersaving mode afaik. This is can be only fixed with a newer kernel that you can get from the Debian Backports repository.
With the proprietary nvidia driver installed this limit should not exists.
There is documentation on how to get the Nvidia driver working here: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Take a look at the easy nvidia-detect script that only needs installation and execution to tell you which nvidia driver to install and how you can do it.

I hope that helps you to get a better experience with Netrunner.

Thank you so much for taking time to look into it.

#1 Freeze issue: Whenever a Shutdown or Reboot action is made, the system just stops responding, even the mouse cursor stops. Freeze is a freeze, nothing happens, no message, no nothing!

#2: Overall slow performance: This is more of a user’s feeling, not benchmarked, neither exclusively regarding display/graphics aspects and this is I think a lesser important point for me at this moment.

• Joy

After taking a closer look at your hardware I think you will benefit very much from upgrading the kernel to 5.4.
To do this on your Netrunner installation go to the menu and search for the β€œUpdate Manager”
Choose edit -> software sources.

In the software sources window click on the tab β€œOther Software” and activate the deb.debian.org buster-backports main repository.
Click the reload and then refresh button in the update manager.
Ignore the updates it shows.
Now open up a terminal and install the newer kernel with
sudo apt install linux-image-5.4.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 linux-headers-5.4.0-0.bpo.2-all-amd64

After this is done you can deactivate the backports repository by unchecking the arrow in software sources and refreshing again.
After a reboot you should end up in the new 5.4 kernel which you can check by opening up the My Computer icon on the desktop.