Hangup on Shutdown Continues!

have you tried changing the video driver?

Never had issue as uses the default open driver for a legacy Ati 4350 card.

Nope pretty sure it is something unique or overlooked deep down in the way systemd does things?
As not an issue until the 229 systemd upgrade. Or something system file related? Just way beyond my understanding.

If I might add to the confusion or mystery, I faced this same “Failed to finalize file system” message after my system drive developed some bad sectors. I did not pursue it further as I thought it had to do with the hardware failure.

I agree with Orbmiser that the systemd version change is associated with this message and also slow shutdowns (or in my case, the need to switch off manually.)

Yep seems to be a recent issue with systemd 229 upgrade.
Or sddm?

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31566.0

I was also having this problem with version 226 till 229
From 5 days ago, i started investigating this problem, i mean

shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring

And decided to remove 1 of my spare HDD which has 5 bad sectors, but working perfectly, so since removing it, this failing to finalize message has gone. I don’t know, maybe it’s mine private case, but sharing it anyway.
Thanx

You are not alone. I just posted a related thread. I have been experiencing very slow reboots and shutdowns. I also see the message, “Failed to finalize file systems, ignoring” on shutdown. I also have multiple drives in my machine [although no bad sectors that I’m aware of].

I will try to test whether disconnecting the extra drives corrects the problem.

Many people on Arch flavor distro complains about the same shutdown hanging. Wich then transform in long boot period. And now for me a corrupt boot partition. If there is an advise for now, it is to wait before upgrading or updating that someone finds the problems and gives a good solution.

I have been reading different post from many forum Manjaro, Netrunner, Antergos. At the ends it is resumed by something wrong in the last update. Until now I have not find any forum who add a valide solution

I had a laptop running Manjaro 15-12 since last december very very well. Everything was very good till I accept the last upgrade. Then the trouble started with a hanged computer in shutdown mode either in graphic or in terminal. Each time I had to force a shutdown with the button on the computer. The end result, the boot partition is now corrupt and cannot reinstall Grub with the installation DVD.

My antergos and Netrunner rolling 2015-09 machines are still running perfectly, because they were not upgrade nor update. I know I could change that laptop to the Netrunner Debian Kubuntu flavor, but it would be sad to leave the arch base because of a lack of stability

+1.

Both my disks have bad sectors, although the system disk also has bad blocks, and perhaps that is why I am having this problem as well.

Thanks.

Thank you for your interest Chandra. I forgot to mention that the Lenovo T500 Laptop has an integrated hard disk drive diagnostic program in the Bios. When executed the result did not reveal any fault or bad sector. When I was using the previous version of Manjaro 15-12 and the Netrunner 2015-09 on that laptop everything went OK. With both all the trouble started when I accept to update.