How to Enrcypt Root - Manual Partition?

I’m doing a manual partition in order to encrypt root, but leave the boot alone. I have doing the following:

I have designated 700 MB to boot on ext2. Mount point /boot (No Encryt)

I’m creating the rest of the hard drive to ext4, Encrypt – Mount point root / (Encrypted)

So the boot is not encrypted, but the root is. So this should work, and it works fine when I tried the same thing with Arcolinux.
When the installation is completed and I restart, I get an error message saying “Crypt setup error, maximum of tries failed, but I haven’t even had a chance to enter anything. So what am I missing or doing wrong?

I would suggest using full disk encryption instead of having /boot unencrypted.
/boot unencrypted has a high risk of people mangling with your kernel or initrd and such makes no sense in a scenario where encryption is wanted.

I encrypted the boot on ext2, and root on ext4, but it won’t boot to the login screen after entering the encryption passphrase. I even tried Neptune, using the system encryption instead, and same thing happened. It won’t boot to to the login screen after you enter the encryption key. Any ideas?

Do you get any error messages?

Once I enter the encryption key, it takes about a minute and you get the message "crypt setup successfully. You see the Netrunner logo trying to load, but I never get to the login screen I get this:
busyBox v1.30.1 (Debian 1:1.3-.1-4) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.
(intiramfs)-

This seems to be an issue with the initramfs. For some reason it is broken.
Can you chroot from a live system into your installed system and rebuild the initrd with update-initramfs -u