how to install new icons

Hi everybody, in System Settings - icon- get new themes, i have downloades new themes, but I don’t know the exact procedure to install them? Can anyone be kind to tell me step by step how to do that? Thank you very much.

Normally the icon themes should be automatically installed.
If you manually downloaded them from kde-look.org then you need to extract the folder with the icon theme to ~/.icons directory (maybe necessary to create that directory first)

[hr]
Thank you so much LESZEK for your post. Yes! You are right! Most of the icons themes do install themeselves without problems, but some other takes you to a website from where to do a direct download. I had no problem doing that, what I don’t understand fully is what to do after downlading the new icont theme from that point onward. Can you be more specific in telling me step-by-step what do do after that. Surely the icons I have istallalled already must be somwhere in the root directory, but where? Please be so kind to give me more directions, I am seventy year old and I am strugling a bit with using the computer. I like very much the Linux world and the people beyound it. I think you are a special people who are on a mission to make the this world a better place. I am proud for you all.

A felt thank you

BenAvram

This would depends on what you downloaded, most often they are compressed folders of icons and would need to be uncompressed first. You can then put those uncompressed folders into one of two places, first place would be in a hidden folder under your home directory named .icons, this folder may need to be created if it doesn’t already exist, the second place would be under /usr/share/icons, but you will need root (administrator) privileges to write to this folder.

[hr]

[quote="BenAvram, "]

[quote=“AJSlye, post:4, topic:2317”]
This would depends on what you downloaded, most often they are compressed folders of icons and would need to be uncompressed first. You can then put those uncompressed folders into one of two places, first place would be in a hidden folder under your home directory named .icons, this folder may need to be created if it doesn’t already exist, the second place would be under /usr/share/icons, but you will need root (administrator) privileges to write to this folder.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, IT WORKED!!! :)[/color][/size]
[hr]

[quote=“AJSlye, post:4, topic:2317”]
[/quote] THANK YOU VERY MUCH, IT WORKED!!! :slight_smile: