how to obtain a proper initrd using mkinitcpio -P ?

[color=#66cc33]The following tutorial is not officially supported, and could potentially harm your system, proceed at your own risk.[/color]
[hr]

I used std kernel: :heart:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

make xconfig
make all
make kernelrelease
make kernelversion
sudo depmod -a 4.17.0-rc6+
make modules_prepare
make allmodconfig # tries to compile as many modules as possible - this usually breaks at some stage of compilation
make modules --keep-going
make modules_install

but make modules breaks!
without allmodconfig it wont work either.

after

sudo mkinitcpio -P

I get the dreaded

" ==> WARNING: No modules were added to the image. This is probably not what you want."

the preset was essentially same as the working old one that ships with NRR

otherwise my customkernel and initrd are fine, only the modules for radeon are missing, so
textmode bash is OK , but no X Windows :blush:

Why are you building your own kernel?
Building your own can be very dangerous.

Manjaro kernels are more heavily patched then the ARCH kernels.
You will also break mhwd, there is no way around this when using a non-manjaro kernel.

the std kernel works fine as a bash shell. just X is missing.there is also my post on how to mod the patched Manjaro kernel from github but even that one is not always working perfectly.

there are some neat features one can enable during make xconfig - that is why ! :smiley:

and even without a std kernel - I was just asking for a working init RAM disk:angel:

I’m sorry, but building your own kernel is not supported, I can not help you on this one.

All I can do is point you to the Arch, and Manjaro wiki pages for guidance,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.manjaro.org/

But even then, Manjaro is not arch and uses a different base system, has multiple kernel support, and a completely different graphics stack. Please keep this in mind, some modifications to the instructions may be required when following the arch wiki

If your going to continue posting these kinds of tutorials, be sure you add this disclaimer at the beginning of them:
The following tutorial is not officially supported, and could potentially harm your system, proceed at your own risk.

well, it’s got to be doable … :dodgy: