HP PAV No OS!

HP PAV No OS!

This a little long and may not work for some.
I have a HP Pavilion AMD system, 2014 Laptop, although the processor and MB are older, I am sure. I have seen a lot of trouble in the forums about the Netrunner install and OS not found after restart.

Most HP Laptops or notebooks have one TB hard drive or less. Mine has one TB. I already have Windows 8.1 and Fedora 20 installed and working great together.

In the BIOS:
I have CD/DVD as first boot option in both Legacy and UEFI.
After I have set Secure Boot “Disabled”.
After I have set Legacy “Enabled”. Disregard warnings and “Enable” Legacy.
I have now allowed both Legacy and UEFI.

I installed DVD into CD/DVD drive. Allow time for CD/DVD drive to find DVD. Restart.

HP Pavilions allow both ESC or F9 to go into boot devices-generally. “ESC” gives boot selections. F9 gives you boot devices. F10 gives you “BIOS SETUP” Selecting ESC pauses then you select F9 for boot devices. And select CD/DVD drive. If F9 works for you select CD/DVD drive. The time to select these is when the screen is black while restarting or initial startup.

Allow DVD to start in Live session. Do your install. Restart. NO OS!

Note:
After shrinking my Windows 8.1 partition to allow free space of just over 200 GB, using windows 8.1 as an administrator user. Selected in the following order: Control Panel. Administrator tools. Computer Management. Drives. Windows partition. Shrink drive. You have to DE-frag the Windows drive before this if you are not seeing recommended space to be freed for Netrunner install.

Yes I know note: Linux folks ask you to use gparted in Live sessions.

Then I set separate /boot and /root and swap and /home partitions. When you do this you will now see a check mark in each of these partitions for formatting, except swap.

Select the free space
/boot = one GB
/root = 30 GB
swap = Double the amount of installed memory
/home = The rest of the free space.
Allow default boot selection at the bottom of the page.
Finish your OS install and restart.

Heck-no OS! Just Restart and select ESC-F9-Notebook Hard Drive. Notebook Hard Drive Is usually at the bottom. And there it is. For me-all three OS’s. Fedora 20 shows with just the F9. Netrunner will not show without selecting ESC-F9-Notebook Hard Drive.

Hope this helps. May have missed a few items but you have the best of it to do it.

Again, I have to allow family to use 8.1. So this set up works for me. 8.1 starts without intervention. The kids enjoy this and show friends. I have to “ECS” “F9” “Notebook Hard Drive” routine every time I want to see Netrunner. For Fedora just “ECS” to see it . You can fix Grub for your boot options but “I hope” this gets you playing with Netrunner on your HP PAV.

Netrunner – thank you that are working so hard to keep this baby what it is,

bodontknow

NO, thank you for the interesting tutorial and kind words, we appreciate it greatly.
If you ever do run into any issues we will always be here to help.

Go well brother,
James (AJSlye)

Thanks for your nice report. Might help others as an example config aswell :slight_smile:

This is not really necessary because in former times the boot sector must lay in the beginning of the harddisk or other technical facts. In my opinion this is for normal use unnecessary. In my system with Netrunner 14 I have always three Kernels and /boot uses about 120 MB. If I would have a /boot partition in use on a partition with 1 GB then about 880 MB could never be used. If a kernel upgrade will come then the system needs 40GB for the new kernel but the whole bunch of packages needs much more space.

In the last days I installed Netrunner 14 on a new harddisk. After upgrade 6GB were in use. In most times I am installing onto 12GB partition. In my opinion 15GB is okay. The problem in Debian and Ubuntu/Netrunner is the sum of downloaded packages in /var/cache/apt/. They won’t be removed automatically after upgrade. After a while the sum of .deb packages are many GBs. So, 30GB is about for people who won’t look to it. 15GB is for people, who are removing with ‘apt-get clean’ from time to time.
Under Fedora there is a switch in /etc/yum.conf “keepcache=0” and all downloaded packages where removed after installation. Don’t know if Netrunner/Ubuntu could do so. From time to time I am removing all the packages to archive.

This is the very old rule as computers have memory in kB size. My experiences are you never need more than one GB. In my opinion it is too much. A normal user needs 100MB for his security if the RAM memory will be full in use. In most cases I have 200MB up to 500MB. Simply the rest of the harddisk. If the computer begins to swap, it will be slower and slower. This means to close applications or to close big pictures or to close dozens of websites are much better than to use swap memory.

Let me say. In years of experiences I like to let /home under /. But all the directories inside my user directory are linked onto the data harddisk. This means that all the hundreds of config files and the firefox cache (>1GB) lie onto the system partition and all my data are on a big data harddisk. Now I can link it do EVERY installed distribution. Including Windows if package ntfs-3g is installed and the data partition is formatted with ‘mkfs.ntfs’. I use XFS filesystem format because on big harddisks you can much more GB use as under EXT4 format.

In former times I used this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
and it was very helpful

I always set my personal system up with a / and a swap, as I only use one OS per PC. I just backup often with dejadup.
Since most of my PC’s are laptops I use suspend and hibernate often, this means that I need to have a swap partition at least the size on my ram, even with using compression this ensure a good recovery from hibernate. However if you never suspend or Hibernate the just set up either zramswap (Netrunner does this by default) and/or use a dynamic swap file. But for any new user I always suggest a /, /home and/or a swap partition, just for the fact their probably going to end up doing some distribution hopping.

Sorry, I cannot confirm that. On my german system means “Ruhezustand” == “Hibernation” Suspend to RAM. So, if you are not a beginner you can do something more and switch to Suspend to Disk. Only this uses the swap partition. But a beginner will use the menu and this is Suspend to RAM.

I am using Netrunner since 3 years on my computer and never it was different to Suspend to RAM.

And this is the reason: Since 12.04 Suspend to Disk is deselected because on many hardware it works not fully correct. So, the normal user uses Suspend to RAM.

For me as a German native speaker it is very confuse: In english “hibernate” seems to use for Suspend to Disk and “suspend” seems to use for Suspend to RAM. And I am shure that so confused derived terms are the reason why most Germans not really know what “Suspend” and “Hibernation” really means. But I am shure that normal users only using “Ruhezustand” == “Hibernation” up from the menu. And that means Suspend to RAM. No extraordinary swap ist used.

All data from the running system are hold in RAM.

Yeah you are right in the german translation (at least in kde plasma) the ‘Ruhezustand’ term is used for suspend to ram. This might be confusing as Windows usually used this term for suspend to disk.

As for the reason suspend to disk is disabled by default on most distros. This has to do with uefi and secure boot. As Ubuntu does support secure boot it disables suspend to disk by default as it isn’t supported yet in secureboot uefi properly (at least on the Linux side of things)

The Point was more about the fact I hibernate my PC’s when traveling with them, I only suspend them at night.