IBus does not work in KDE applications

I have followed the instructions on the IBus Arch wiki and put the lines

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
in my .bashrc file.

I have also run qtconfig-qt4 and selected ibus as my default input method.

Despite this, I am unable to switch scripts while editing on kate. GTK applications, like the Thunderbird email compose text window, however work exactly as expected when scripts are switched.

Does the KDE-Plasma version in NRR support iBus or is it something that will happen in the future?

Thanks.

No ibus is not installed by default.
You’ll need to install ibus, ibus-qt and whatever Input method engine that you need.

I have already installed these:

pacman -Ss ^ibus* | grep installed extra/ibus 1.5.13-1 [installed] extra/libibus 1.5.13-1 [installed] community/ibus-m17n 1.3.4-4 [installed] community/ibus-qt 1.3.3-6 [installed]
While IBus works with GTK applications, it does not work with KDE applications like kate. How might I get it to?

You’ll need to setup kimpanel:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus#Kimpanel

I have followed the instructions given at the Arch Wiki link above and am still not having success getting IBus to work with KDE applications. Here is what I have done:

1. Set up an autostart script for IBus with the following line:
ibus-daemon --replace --daemonize --panel=/usr/lib/kimpanel-ibus-panel
  1. Saved the given ibus-kimpanel.desktop file. The menu entry appears as expected.

2. Added the Input Method Panel widget to my main panel.

3. I have both autostarted ibus using (1) above and also by clicking on the kimpanel icon. It shows up on the panel with selectable input methods as expected.

However, I have not carried out the second last instruction shown below from the Wiki link because I do not understand what I am supposed to do:

What Choose Application dialog from where? How to make it show up? IIRC, I have not seen a Utility/Ibus (Kimpanel) selection anywhere.

Somewhat ominously, the KDE systemsettings dialog for Input Method gives a warning message that is shown in the attached screenshot. Because this is a new installation (NRR 2016-01) I am not sure what files, if any, I should dredge up and remove.

So, there is still some way to go to get IBus working with KDE applications. I am able to select the input method, but the selection has no effect when I type in kate. It works as expected in Firefox and Thunderbird.

Thanks.

That input method KCM under Other is for fcitx not ibus, there is no KCM for ibus.

In that case, can you please shed light on how to “choose Utility/Ibus (Kimpanel) in the Choose Application dialog” as instructed in the penultimate step for activating Kimpanel. I really do not know what I am supposed to do. Under what application or program does the “Choose Application” dialog appear? AFAICT, Kimpanel does not seem to have one.

Thanks.