Intel HD Audio HDMI audio output

I have Intel HD audio and when I use HDMI and connect to the TV as a second monitor for movies the audio doesn’t automatically play through the TV, it still plays through my tinny laptop speakers. I have tried setting HDMI as default audio out, but I may not know how to do that properly. I am able to select HDMI audio output from within VLC player and that works fine, I even set it as default in VLC. Playing music, flash video audio, and other sound still does not play through HDMI when hooked up. In Kubuntu this was an automatic feature and I haven’t been able to figure it out in 13.06 nor 13.12.

First open up the kmix popup with clicking on the sound icon in the tray then right click on the stream that you want to change its output device and select the output device.

Here is a picture of what I get when I right click on the volume control. And in Audio Setup I have HDMI set as first default on all channels. This is how I have had it, and still no audio through HDMI when I hook it up, unless I manually select it in VLC audio devices then it works with VLC exclusively.

You don’t seem to have pulseaudio installed. (which comes by default in 13.12).
With pulseaudio installed the kmix right clik option would work.

Thank you! I originally had Netrunner 13.06 installed and did not have pulseaudio and recently upgraded to 13.12 using the script and didn’t receive pulseaudio. I have now installed pulseaudio in synaptic then rebooted. I have 3 options in the audio popup menu now. I am a little concerned that the KDE Control Module is now blank in all categories. Although, Eureka! I can now select HDMI in the Audio Hardware Setup > Profile and when it is selected all audio plays through HDMI. I do have to select between HDMI and Analog Stereo Output but that is fine now that I have a choice.

Is PulseAudio a superior sound server for Linux? and was Alsa the original? just learning here, thanks for your help and feel free to let me know if there is more to fix.

Pulseaudio is a sound server sitting on top of alsa to manage sound cards and streams a little bit easier than directly with alsa.