KDE SC 4 to Plasma 5 Tutorial

kcm-touchpad-frameworks no longer exists in Plasma 5, It’s safe to remove this package.
The old kcm system along with the default official kcm’s are now integrated into systemsettings. However, systemsettings does still support separate third party kcm plugins.

PS. Netrunner Rolling isn’t a Debian based system, it’s based on Manjaro which is a derivative of Arch Linux.

Tutorial Revised today due to the following updated packages in the stable repository:
Plasma 5.3
KDE Frameworks 5.10
KDE Applications 15.04.1.

Yea sorry what I meant was that I love Debian but I prefer the rolling release due to arch backend :slight_smile:
Succesfully upograded, fully functionnal system… YAYY thanks to you :heart: :smiley:

Is the new touchpad module working for you? My touchpad works, but can’t change settings in the manager, it says in the red bar ‘No touchpad found’.
[attachment=701]

What brand is your touchpad?
[hr]
I didn’t notice until you posted this, but your right, the pad is working with the settings from the old kcm, but it says no touchpad found. I’ll have to look into this. I did just upgraded my kernel to 4.0 today, I’ll check to see if that is the issue or not as well.

╰ ➤ cat /proc/bus/input/devices |grep -i touchpad N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

edit: I tried with a live-usb with the latest Manjaro KDE 0.8.13 rc1. same issue there, I think it’s something on the Plasma 5 To Do list to get it working for everyone.

Strange, I had the red bar ‘No touchpad found’. when you mentioned it, but after a reboot it’s back to working normally.
I rebooted into 3.14 no red bar ‘No touchpad found’.
Then I rebooted back into 4.0 and again no red bar ‘No touchpad found’.

I wonder what caused that.

I did install the broadcom-wl driver with the Manjaro Settings Manager > Hardware Devices to see if I got better wifi with it than with the default b43 driver. I wonder If I maybe I hadn’t rebooted since I installed it?

Just did the update today, because the GTK config module essentially stopped working in KDE 4. It’s mostly nice so far.

Only a few issues:

1. Text in some dialogs seem to be invisible. It’s happened to me while using Inkscape: when it crashes, the dialog pops up, but I can’t read a word in it, because it seems to be invisible. Happens in system settings as well; the error alerts are completely blank to me.

2. Oxygen Sans makes text look oddly squeezed together. I switched to DejaVu Sans (and its monospace variant) for most things, and it looks much better.

3. I miss Lancelot. I find Kickoff nowhere near as nice, and Kicker is too small for my liking (and it can’t be resized too).

4. Is there a QtCurve config module for Plasma 5? When selecting QtCurve as the widget style, the configure button is greyed out. I use Breeze as my main theme, and am using QtCurve for GTK2 to emulate Breeze.

The text issue has to do with the colors themes: System Settings > Color
I’m not sure if it is a bug or setting somewhere causing this, but they just don’t quite follow the color theme properly, it’s worse the darker the theme used is (breeze-dark is worse than breeze, etc.).

For a working qtcurve for KF5, QT5, QT4 and GTK+2, you’ll need to install them from the AUR:

yaourt -S qtcurve qtcurve-gtk

There is however still no qtcurve for GTK+3, especially now that GTK+ 3.18 has dropped theme engines support.

Great, that will at least allowed me to edit the QtCurve theme when I need to.

One more thing, I also noticed icons are sometimes broken, i,e, not Breeze icons will sometimes be used. This happens mostly in GTK applications. I understand why, because the Breeze icon theme isn’t complete yet, so it’s to be expected from time to time.

The problem is especially bad in Firefox KDE though. When using QtCurve, it doesn’t even respect the gtkrc generated by the system settings. For example, I would set the display icons in buttons to off, and the horrible looking icons are still there. This would be less of a problem if I could at least find where the icons are defined and symlink appropriate ones to the right names, but a visual search of /usr/share/icons reveals nothing. The ones I’m mainly talking about are the icons used for the Close Tabs and Cancel button when trying to close multiple tabs. The main menu I can at least avoid most of the time.

Icon mapping also seems broken. Previously, when something tried to look for a dialog-question icon, it used to map to the dialog-information icon. Now, it just uses some dialog-question icon that I can’t find in /usr/share/icons.

Yea I know, Icon issue in Plasma 5 are getting less frequent, but they are still there.
Now Firefox with and without the KDE patches is the worst offender of NOT following the gtk+ themes, etc.

These theme and icon issues with gtk apps are more or less issues with GTK+ itself than anything else, gtk 3.16 doesn’t work properly when using theme engines, and even worse gtk 3.18 has dropped support for them completely.

Answering my own question, I think I’ve found where the weird ugly GTK2 icons Firefox uses are; for some completely obtuse and unknown reason to me, they’re located in /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/gtk2/. Somehow, that’s where the final fallback icons are, when it absolutely can’t find an icon in either icon set. I haven’t tried symlinking the names yet, but if someone wants to give it a go, go ahead.

Edit: Tried symlinking the appropriate images to the correct names (gtk-ok and gtk-cancel), and it worked! Now I can stop looking at ugly Gnome icons. It’s obviously not an ideal solution, but until the icon mapping is corrected in KDE directly, it’ll have to do.

And one more thing, when selecting something that uses the file dialog in system settings (say, trying to pick a new login sound) then cancelling, and trying again, system settings completely locks up; nothing happens even though visually, the buttons are clicked. That requires me to kill the process manually, it’s annoying. I assume it’s a known bug, and hope it’s fixed in the next release.

What will happen with GTK apps in the future if GTK don’t support theme engines. When I first started using Linux and KDE, GTK apps looked all ugly and messy and out of place and could be quite a bit of work to make them look “native” in KDE. Are we heading there again?

Yes, it seems that way.

I have more bad news with regards to integration, but with Qt this time, not GTK. It seems that while Qt respects the KDE theme in general, it defaults to the oxygen icons instead of following the theme. At least for one application (git-cola), this is not an upstream problem, because the code seems to be correctly querying Qt for the style to get the icon from. Is there a way to set the Qt icon theme, short of providing a copy of the breeze icons named as oxygen?

That would depend on if the application is QT4 or QT5 based, just like if an application is GTK+2 or GTK+3 based.
I could write a long post describing the differences and how to achieve a consistent look and feel, but since the Arch Wiki already has one I’ll just point you to it. ;):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_Look_for_Qt_and_GTK_Applications

I did look at that, and to be honest, it wasn’t very helpful.

But after going through the Qt source, and trying to see where it’s reading its configs from, I found out that instead of trying to read from ‘.kde4’, it’s reading configs from ‘.kde’, even though the code does try to use ‘.kde4’ if it exists. I’m not sure where the bug is coming from, but for now, when dealing with Qt, any changes to ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals should also be copied to ~/.kde/share/config/globals. This will allow Qt to pick up on the correct icon theme, so that you can get the right icons (well, most of the time anyway, some icons still use the wrong theme icons because of missing icons).

That’s strange git-cola seems to be following my theme properly here, I wonder if it’s not a bug in the version of application you have installed itself?

Did you install this applications from the AUR?

I found that there are two AUR entries for this application and only one of them works properly, git-cola-git.
For some reason I couldn’t even get the git-cola AUR entry to even compile this last time I tried so I went with the git version…

Yeah, I did install it from the AUR. At some point the non-git version managed to compile, so I’m using that. I prefer to at least have a stable version instead of an unstable dev version. The fix I used also fixes Clementine, so Clementine (mostly) uses Breeze icons now.

Also, it’s not so much the general theme that’s broken, it’s the icons. Without the fix, Clementine and git-cola end up using Oxygen icons, because Qt defaults to Oxygen icons on KDE, unless it can find the correct icon theme from the kdeglobals settings.

Qt only defaults to oxygen if the icon that’s trying to be used doesn’t exist in the icon pack your using or come with the application itself, but yea I get where your coming from.