I still have the kernel panics after i replaced the PSU. :-/

Specs:

[quote]ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3
AMD Phenom II X4 840
Kingston V200 60GB SSD
WD HDD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

Onboard graphic card: Radeon HD 4250 [no support from ATI anymore][/quote]

I have Kernel panics for four weeks now. First since updating Mint to the latest version, then while having Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then with Netrunner.

It appears when the Desktop is already on, not while booting.
Either right in the first five minutes while i open a browser or mail client, or while editing a a text file two hours in.
I cannot reproduce the problem.

What I already did:

• BIOS Update with the latest version
  • Replaced the PSU. Was fine for four days, now i can’t leave the system on for several hours.
  • Tested the RAM several rows. Everything was flawless there.

Here the latest sensor data.

[quote]atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage: +1.02 V (min = +0.85 V, max = +1.60 V)
+3.3 Voltage: +3.37 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5 Voltage: +5.00 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)
+12 Voltage: +12.13 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU FAN Speed: 609 RPM (min = 600 RPM, max = 7200 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM, max = 7200 RPM)
CPU Temperature: +37.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
MB Temperature: +39.0°C (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +22.8°C (high = +70.0°C)
(crit = +99.5°C, hyst = +97.5°C)[/quote]

I still don’t know how to get root rights for the log file im /var/log. Or to put it bluntly, don’t even know what the log file there is. The „faillog“ file? idk

Maybe it is the mother board or a HDD, anyone with knowledge won’t help without a log file.
I searched the Arch wiki, but I seem to be looking in the wrong places.

I’d be thankful for any help.

The /var/log/syslog is the log from the kernel which could maybe tell us why its freezing.
You can gain root rights in the terminal and copy over the file with

sudo cp /var/log/syslog ~/syslog
It will ask for a password that you can enter secretly (without showing stars * ) and copies the file to your home directory.

I don’t know if I asked you this before but did you try booting with the noacpi boot option ?
You can edit the boot options in grub with the e key and add the boot option at the end of the kernel line. Then with Ctrl+X you can boot with the bootoption.

That’s an overclocker’s board, make sure all overclocking features are turned off in the bios, you maybe having issues when the CPU or GPU gets revved up. here is what to disable in the bios: Turbo Unlocker - Core Unlocker - GPU Boost

I’m also not sure if this chip is supported under linux and can be part of your issue as well: TurboV EVO

Alright!

I have disabled the GPU Boost so far and i can at least write a comment without freezing every 5 or 10 minutes. idk, maybe that is just temporary. The core unlocker was never activated. I have searched the BIOS for the Turbo Unlocker option, which i remember being there, but couldn’t find it.

And about the logs:

Okay, i got root rights in the terminal and added the line, but all after the PW i got the message:

[i have to translate it vaguely. English is just my second language]

[quote]I don’t know if I asked you this before but did you try booting with the noacpi boot option ?
You can edit the boot options in grub with the e key and add the boot option at the end of the kernel line. Then with Ctrl+X you can boot with the bootoption.[/quote]

No, first time i hear it from you, but i have read about that problem with kernel panics. where exactly do i add the phrase “acpi=off” in what particular kernel line? should i wait with it, until another freeze shows up?

As always, Thx and sry for bugging you guys.

When there is no syslog you cannot copy it obviously.
Maybe you can copy kern.log

Hey leszek!
I added three attachments where i just took pictures from each kernel panic screen as best as i could. the first two are one screen and number 3 is the latest [ but short one] from yesterday.

Before i type anything with root rights.

[quote]sudo cp /var/log/kern.log ~/kern.log[/quote] correct?

This is correct.

edit:

Looking at the screenshots of the kernel panic it looks to me like a problem with the usb subsystem causing the freeze. But this is only a vague assumption.

Thanks. I get the same message with the kern.log as with syslog. No directory or file exists.

No further kernel panics yesterday while several hours testing. I turn on the computer today and five minutes in again, it slows down and a text console message appears as i open the Firefox browser. I reboot and before i can log into the desktop another panic comes up. After that, my computer booted to a black screen. I took a picture of the first kernel panic text screen and will upload it later after work. I turned off every ACPI function in bios after the black screen.

Anyways, thank you for your help I appreaciate it.

EDIT: words

In the attachments are the latest pics from the one i got.

EDIT:

Okay, i asked some manjaro/arch users and got the helpful replies to look for the journal log with

I added everything to a text file and will upload it.

with these commands: journalctl is there anything helpful i could find out?